Chapter 39

"You'll be afraid, it'll rattle your bones and in the moment it will shake you at the core. But it's OK, you'll surprise everyone, including yourself. When your bravery comes shining through your smile, and with the world at your feet you'll become undeniable, inevitable, and irresistible."

-r.m. drake

Aflame - Chapter 39

My heart raced so fast as I couldn't even bring myself to type in the code as I was now stood there completely frozen, ready for my death.

"Yes, just calm him down and let him know that he can come through." Mister Howell enters the room as he has his phone to his ear, but he doesn't see me yet. I start internally freaking out as I think on what to say when he finally lands his eyes onto me. And that moment has now come as he look straight towards me and his brows flinch into a confused look on his face as I pray that the earth would suck me in at this very moment in time. "Great. Thanks." He turns off his phone as I struggle to breath when my wide eyes meets with his. "And you are?"

He walks a few steps behind his desk as he puts his phone down.

"Pai-" I quickly remember that I am not Paige right now and I can't give away my real identity. He'll for sure be suspicious of me. "Victoria... Victoria Brown, sir."

My voice is a bit shaky, but I manage to get out a little smile as I put my hands together and maintain a professional outlook as I step a bit closer towards him.

"And why are you in my office again?"

Oh no.

"Uhm-"

"Ah, yes! How could I forget?" He points his finger up before looking down and a smile of realization plays onto his face this time. "You're the replacement assistant for today."

I lift my brow as the opportunity arises by itself.

"Yeah! That's me!"

I say a bit too excitedly as I then try to compose myself.

"Great," He mentions as he sits down onto his big, white, leathered seat. His desk is made out of glass as it looks very organized and he had a really great carpet underneath it all. "You can start by organizing that little area over there for me, I really need it sorted."

He points to the desk at the far end of the room as I notice all of the paperwork that is lied there and I sulk at the thought as I knew that this is only going to hurt the precious time that I have here to get the file!

Zayn is not going to be happy if I come back with nothing but air... And I'll not even get the information I wanted after all that I have been through to get to this point.

Just as I was about to make my way towards the little desk, someone knocks on the double doors just a few feet in front of me.

"Can you open the door please?"

Mister Howell speaks up as I nod my head at him and make my way towards the door and just when I pull it open, my heart almost stops at the person who is stood in front of me.

He looks at me with those squinted blue eyes of his as it almost looks as though he is slightly amused by me.

"We meet again."

I gulp and just look down awkwardly as he makes his way past me and I couldn't help but to remember that I had asked the front lady to get rid of him and I still feel so bad for it.

"Ah, son."

Mister Howell calls out and my eyes grows wider at the words that comes out of his mouth as I look back and realize that Mister Howell stood up with a great smile on his face, but the guy who I seem to bump into all the time, didn't look so happy.