Chapter 42

Aflame - Chapter 42

I've just met Harry's assistant Jennifer.

She seems like a really lovely girl.

Both smart and pretty at the same time.

She came over to bring Harry his papers as they are now talking over at one side of the barn and Niall and I are standing on the other side.

"Thanks for saving me out there. Again."

I speak up as I help him stack the hay, the last bunch of it, that is.

He always seems to be helping me from danger; the last time with the creep who almost kidnapped me and now with the horse runaway.

"No problem," He stacks the hay onto the other batch as he then brushes his hands off and looks over at me. "It's what heroes do."

He shrugs at me as I roll my eyes at his words before his eyes lands onto someone behind me.

His smile quickly fades away.

"What?"

"What is she doing here?"

I look to the back of me when I notice that he is actually talking about Jennifer as she is busy writing down some notes onto her little black book.

"Jennifer?" I question him as I then look back over at him. "She's Harry's assistant, she came to bring over his papers... Why? Do you know her?"

He's frowning this time as he lets out a breath and bends down to pick up some of the dirt on the floor.

"I used to."

I was confused as I look over at her and then back at Niall.

"Were you-"

"Dating? Yes." He cuts me off as his voice is much more stern than I had expected it to be. "Until she decided to leave me and everyone behind."

"Why would she do that?"

I question him in intrigue as he stands up and wipes his hand off with some cloth.

"Because she's selfish, that's why." He speaks up as he looks my way. "She doesn't care about anyone else, but herself."

He throws the cloth to the other side of the room as I could tell that she still has an effect on him.

I bite my lip awkwardly as I watch him and he has his back to her this time.

"But she seems like such a nice person, maybe she's changed-"

"A zebra never changes its' stripes."

He cuts me off, but he doesn't even look my way.

I could tell that he was upset at the whole situation, probably still holding a grudge for what she has done to him in the past.

It's pretty sad thinking about it.

"That's not true, Harry was once a wild child and now... Well, now he's settled down and much more mature than he was back then. So, maybe you should just give her a chance-"

"We did take a chance, but look where it got us. She ended up ruining everything that we've built... And I wouldn't be surprised if Harry goes back to his old ways either." I know he that he is angry, so I didn't take what he said to heart as I watch him and his eyes are facing the ground this time. "How can you claim that you love someone and then break them the next day like it doesn't even matter? How can you just walk away from something that you said was everything to you?"