Chapter 50

Aflame - Chapter 50

Harry's P.O.V

It's hard to take in.

Especially knowing that she is out there... Alone with that ... The person I used to confide in.

"Okay, and what's on it?"

Detective Brighton speaks through the phone to whoever is on the other side of the line as he is sat beside Zayn who is driving the car and the rest of us are in the back of his SUV.

We all sat there, quiet.

My mind kept on rushing and racing to no end.

"Are you sure this is where he is at?"

I question Blake as he is sat behind me, but not directly.

I didn't want him sitting too close to me because just him being here is already making me fume from the inside.

"Yes, this is where we met up."

Blake says it with nervous eyes, almost as though he was too ashamed to say it as his tone of voice started to fade.

I eye him suspiciously before I feel Becky's hand on my arm.

I look over at her as she speaks up this time.

"I know it's hard to trust him right now, but... It's the only thing we can do."

She mentions and even though it's a hard pill to swallow, she is right.

She gives me a little smile as she must have noticed that I seemed to calm down after that.

"So, what did he say?"

Zayn who has his hands on the steering wheel now questions Detective Brighton as soon as he ends his call.

My eyes are on the dark road which is only lightened by the headlights of the car.

Trees pairing its' way up with the empty, cold streets.

Even the moon seems to be hiding behind the clouds, knowing that something ominous is about to begin.

"They talked about the body that they found outside of the event that you guys were at tonight," Detective Brighton points to all of us except for Zayn. His brown eyes watching us closely. "They're still uncertain about his position, but he is being taken care of. They also mentioned something about a paper lying not too far away from him with the numbers '7723' written on it."

"What is it for?"

Justin questions.

"A code." Zayn answers. "Peter told me something about a code, but he never told me the numbers to it. Telling me he doesn't trust me enough to tell me anything."

"Peters' a smart guy."

I mumble under my breath as Zayn glares at me through the rear-view mirror.

"Look, this could be important information." Detective Brighton gets us to calm down. He then lets out a sigh as he looks forth and shakes his head. "I just hope that he stays alive long enough to tell us all that he knows... Unlike that Madison girl."

I furrow my brow at the words, but Justin beats me to it before I could even form a coherent sentence.

"Madison Carter?" He has his hands on both Becky and my seat as he leans forward to get a better view of Detective Brighton. "What happened to her?"