The New Moon

June 13, 2016

It was 1am and the moon was suppose to be out but hanging in the sky was not a round glowing light in the darkness. In the sky was a red roundish thing with four pointy pink arrow shapes at each end and the arrows were moving. Each time the arrows went full circle a bell sounded from the sky and the earth quivered, not an earthquake but a slight attention seeking jar. Right now it took them 8 hours to go full circle. This was the new moon.
Dusty Spark looked at his son Norm hiding the fear in his eyes as his son babbled away " The new girl Gracie said that her mom told her we are all gonna blow up soon!" Norms 6 year old eyes held more excitement than fear.
Dusty put on his coat over his back full of scales, he had began shedding his wings two days ago and the kernels were still too gluey to wash off, pentdustioans shredded there wings twice a year beginning at age 18 and it never was a joyous occasion but they got use to it. Taking a drink of his green alley juice, an adult beverage.. Dusty gave his son a look. " Norm, we are not going to blow up, that's absurd." He went over and kissed his son on top of his curly hair noticing his head was soft, smelled of daisies in the sunshine. He smiled and put his arms around his son fearing that blowing up would be a dime in the million compared to what they were all going to have to endure. He swallowed hard and said knowingly "wanna go up by the spring and do a little fishing."
Norm said disbelieving "you wanna go fishing now?? When the world is ending?" His little eyes full of humor. He thought his dad must be pretty crazy.
Dusty winked at Norm " well we want our last meal in Crescent to be fine dining don't we?" Half way joking.
Norm thought about it and jumped down off his high chair "yep we sure do dad, let's go!" His excitement abundant.
Dusty closed the door of there little house and as he was locking the door felt the new moon jar again and heard a huge crack from beside him. One of the huge Thistle trees that held delicious green berries called jaspines had fallen from the quiver, and beneath it Norm laid alive but unconscious and trapped.
Dusty at the top of his lungs screamed "help, I need help!" And tried lifting the heavy branches off of Norm's tiny chest, cursing himself for taking him out, he knew he should have kept him in just wanted to quiet his rambling questions he had no answers to give him.
"Oh, my! What happened?" Dusty heard a female voice say as he
looked up into the eyes of one of the prettiest women he ever seen, she had golden hair, blue eyes that made sapphire gems jealous and a warm stare.
Dusty choked out the words "its my son, he's trapped under this tree"
Olga listened to a voice somewhere in the distance only she could hear that said "use a spell" and waved her hands chanting an ancient lifting spell, surprised and pleased when she seen the tree lift up and Dusty pull Norm to Safety. Looks like the moon witches have their magic back and for once Olga didn't feel danger at that, the only thing she felt right now was free.