She could only imagine how cheeky the boy must have been, with girls calling him over after school. Maybe he liked hanging out with his mother on Friday nights instead of going to parties and such-

But to Katie’s disappointment, she’d never know.

She winced slightly as her hand rubbed down her stomach under the covers. She pushed the covers away from her body before pulling up her shirt to reveal a blackish-bluish bruise that had formed just below her ribcage.

She winced as she trailed her fingers over it.

You’re body is failing you

Dr. Andrew’s words sounded in he mind as she sighed.

A wave of nausea washed over her as she tried to push it away by closing her eyes tight. Maybe if she just fell asleep, it would go away?

Nope, she realized as she suddenly shot up in bed and walked towards the door. It was better to be prepared and head to the bathroom, than end up being sick all over Harry’s bedroom.

She creaked the door open gently, peaking outside before padding across the hall. Before she reached the bathroom though, she heard a whispered conversation from down the steps and around the corner in the kitchen.

“I don’t know what to do, Mum.”

Katie’s eyes widened as she pressed herself up against the wall the second she realized it was Harry’s voice, sounding as broken as ever. She pressed her lips in a tight line as her back pressed up against the wall and listened intently.

She could heard some shuffling, before Anne’s soft voice soothed the broken-sounding boy.

“Harry, you’re being so brave. You just need to be there for her right now. You’ve put everything on the line for this girl, and I’ve never been so proud of you.”

Katie closed her eyes tight at the sound of Anne’s gentle words. She felt like crying, because every word that the older woman spoke, were true.

Harry had put everything on the line for her, and no matter how big of a charity case she had been, he never gave up on her.

“I need her to be okay.” He choked, and for a moment, she wondered if he was crying. “I need her to be okay, because I am so in love with her.”

Her breath caught in her throat as she gulped hard and pressed the back of her head hard against the wall. She knew she should have walked into the bathroom and closed the door. The conversation wasn’t for her ears, but instead she continued listening.

“Just be there for her now. Be what she needs, it’s all you can do, Harry.”

With that, Katie pried herself from the wall and padded into the bathroom before she could hear anymore. At this point, she wondered if it was the nausea or the guilt that was eating away at her stomach.

The brunette looked into the mirror at her reflection, wincing when she saw the state of her appearance.

Her hair hung dull and dry past her shoulders. Her eyes held bags under them, and her cheeks were sunken in. Within the last week she had lost more weight due to the fact that she could barely hold down any meals anymore.

She walked over to the toilet, staring into it as her finger clutched at the sides until her knuckles turned white. She closed her eyes, expecting the expected. Her stomach churned and she felt the familiar cringe in her heart at the feeling of her insides pouring out of her mouth as her whimper of defeat echoed through the empty bathroom.