Apathy

It's been 3 months and 4 days since I've talked to or seen Prince. He's called, sent a few lavender roses but Hannah just tells him I'm not home. I have to leave the room when she says it though. I don't wanna be around when she lies to him. It's not like I had a lot of time to think about it anyway. I was so busy trying to get this album done. But in all honesty I made myself busy. I threw myself into my music. My writing kicked up ten fold after I stopped seeing Prince so much.

I was sitting in the studio downstairs, in silence. In a purple onesie, surrounded by all the flowers Prince sent. You would think they would make me feel worse but they actually made me smile. I glanced around the room searching my thoughts for inspiration, mindlessly tapping my pencil on my notebook. I had got to writing poetry. I keep it in a small notebook, underneath my mattress. I can't keep anything in a drawer because Michael practically moved in after the accident. I rolled my eyes at the thought. But he's never home anyway. He's always out at the studio. Late. He's working on his follow up album to Thriller. He wants to call it Smooth Criminal but me and Quincy think he should call it Bad. The song has more of a title track feel to it if you ask me, but hey it's his career.

I was supposed to do a song on it called "I Just Can't Stop Loving You." I told him I couldn't, that I didn't wanna be overexposed. But really I just can't bring myself to sing a bunch of lies.

Speaking of albums I had finished sequencing my album yesterday and it's at the label right now being listened to. I went to play it to a few executives a few and they loved it. They think I got a few number one singles on there. So they are gonna play it to the head of the label today.

I heard the phone ring. I really didn't feel like talking. I haven't talked much lately. I haven't felt like it to be honest. Everyone think I'm borderline depressed over the Michael getting burned thing, but it's not that. I closed my notebook and waited a few more rings before I walked across the room to get it.

"Hello" I answered, trying to put as much pep in my tone as I could. Which wasn't a lot but it's better than it has been.

"Hey babe."

"Hey Michael." I sighed and flopped down in the chair next to the phone.

"I called to say I'm not gonna make it to dinner tonight. I have-"

"Another late night at the studio I know. Have fun." He does this every single time. We haven't been out in forever. Granted, I'm always working but he never has anytime for me at all. The only reason I'm giving him a pass is because I did this to him at one point. I don't know. Maybe it's the guilt.

"I'm sorry I'll make it up to you I promise. I love you." and he blew a kiss into the phone.

"You too." I forced out and the line went silent between us. So I hung up, I forced a smile on my face. I don't know why. I didn't have to. Maybe, I was so used to doing it these days. I just can't snap out of it. I went back over to where I was across the room and settled back down into the chair.

I opened my notebook and flipped a few pages to where I was writing.

I added in a few more lines before I dropped my pen and closed my notebook to head upstairs.

On my way upstairs I heard the doorbell ring. My heart fluttered a little. I always expect it to be Prince but it never is.

I sighed before opening the door, and no it wasn't Prince. but it was bouncing bubbly Naomi.

"Hi Jas!" She jumped and hugged me around my neck and walked past me. "So how's everything going? You seemed kinda down lately so I came to cheer you up."