Fire It Up

July 28, 1980
Municipal Auditorium

I walked in my dressing room with my bag

I walked in my dressing room with my bag. I was supposed to perform with Rick James tonight. It's crazy huh? He called me up and asked me did I want to come in on his song "Fire it Up" tonight. He might've been coked-up when he did it. Here I am only 15, performing with one of the most sex-crazed artists of the decade. Well I can't really say that the decade just started. Plus the guy he has opening for him on this tour is pretty sex-crazed himself. I've heard his music before, thanks to Hannah. His name slips my mind though.

I was in the mirror, fluffing my hair when I decided to go over the moves for tonight with my background dancers, I didn't bring all of them. I only brought Brian and Scott. We've practically grown up together. They were my first background dancers. We had to practically figure them out on the plane. Rick James wasn't much of a dancer, but I am so I have to do something.

It was quiet in the room, door wide open. Not like I had anything to hide. Brian, one of my dancers, put the tape with the song in and turned on the boom box.

"You come in on the 2." Scott said and placed his hands on my hips moving me into position. After a few opening beats, I started going through the performance, not full out but just to get a feel for what it would be like onstage.

"We want Rick to funk us up."

"Yeah, yeah" Brian and Scott screamed mocking the crowd. It made me laugh a little.

If funky music makes you groove
And you just can't wait to move
And getting off is what you've come here for
Then there's no need to hesitate
Cause you know I hate to wait
I'll funk you til' you roll on out the door.

"So wave the funk sign in the air." I yelled into hair brush at the imaginary crowd.

And show me that you care
You've been sitting on your booty much too long
We'll funk you, but don't go nowhere.
If you say it's fun
Then fire up cause the show has just begun

Hey everyone tonight we're gonna have fun.
What you want us to do with the funk?
Fire it up.
Hey everyone tonight we're gonna have fun.
What you want us to do with the funk?
Fire it up
Blow

"Your part Jasmyn." Scott reminded me.

"Now don't just sit there in your chairs
Actin' like L-seven squares. Freak on out, that's what this song's about because funk is for the young and old. I know you have been tol-" I stopped because I saw a guy looking at me from the door frame in the mirror.

Hazel eyes, bright hazel eyes. That's the first thing I noticed. They were kind of iridescent, at one angle they looked chestnut and if you turned your head slightly they looked hazel.

"Jasmyn!!" I heard and it snapped me out my trance. I don't know which of the twins said it.

"Huh?" I said, I was still in sort of a daze in the mirror.

"You completely missed your second verse honey." Brian said, turning off the music, and rolling his neck in a very stereotypical black woman way. I should've punch him in the throat for it.

"Sorry, restart on th-" The guy started walking in. He had on these blue tiger print pants, which really caught your attention if you know what I mean.

"Hi" his voice nearly made me melt, it was deep but soft at the same time. "My dressing room is down the hallway and I was warming up with my band when I heard loud music. Which I'm guessing came from this." He grazed his hand over my boom box, he slowly walked a circle around me.

"Now I was coming to cuss out whoever it was, but as I got closer down the hallway..." He stopped in front of me, I promise you he was gazing into my soul. "I heard an angel." I gulped as he grabbed my hand and cupped it between both of his hands. "So I had to see what beautiful creature was making that noise and it seems as though beautiful is correct." I let out this nervous giggly. I don't know where it came from.

I think he introduced himself but I didn't hear it, I was just shocked he was this close to me. I played it cool, I really did. But on the inside I was about to explode. He smelled like a dream, sweet but musky. I'll never forget it.

I opened my mouth to introduce myself  but he said he already knew who I was. He mentioned how it was a shame I was so young, but how he was willing to wait. I nearly dropped to the ground and had convulsions when he said it. We talked it up for a while, before this lady with big ginger hair, way too much makeup, and some pink lingerie outfit leaned into the door frame.

"Prince, were on in 15."

"Thanks Gayle." he told her but he never took his eyes off me.

"Maybe I'll see you after the show." he smirked.

"Maybe.." I said, looking down. He leaned near my ear and whispered in a low voice.

"It was very nice meeting you."

"It was nice.." I stopped to clear my throat. "uhm meeting you too." The let out a little chuckled, bastard knew I was nervous as hell. Older guys tend to hit on me a lot, you'd think I'd be use to it. Something about this guy, has me all choked up.

And with that he left the room, he took a piece of my heart with him. I wish I had got his name.