Genders And Overworrying

Miranda's pov

We were at the doctor's. He was going on and on about it being a miracle that I could even get pregnant in the first place. "Doc I know. Can you just tell us what we're having?" I gasp impatiently. He laughs. "Someone is excited!" He says, patting my hand. "I can't wait to be a mother." Luke smiles and hugs me. "And I can't wait to be a father." We go to the ultrasound room and I lay down. Luke holds my hand. Tears come to my eyes. "So doctor what's the verdict?" I ask super excited.

Jason's pov

Mel and the girls were making dinner while I was working on a song. "Ooh I've been a rollin' stone. I think it's time for me to roll on home." I whisper sing. "Hey Melanie, can we call you mom?" My eyes go wide hearing this. "Oh sweetheart of course you can!" She gasps. I walk to the kitchen door and see Mel hugging Keely. "I'm glad you and dad met." I smile. "Me too sweety." That was beautiful. The door opens. I turn around to Luke. "Hey man, so is it niece or nephew?" I ask. "Hey Jay you remember that thing about twins the other day?" He counter asks, confusing me. "Yeah." I say slowly. My crazy sister runs in seconds later, screaming with happiness. I laugh as she hugs me. "What's up?" "Twin boys, Jay. I'm having twin boys!" My eyes go wide. "Whoa! That's great! I guess twins run in the family!" So that's what Luke meant! "Hwy girls come out here a sec, got some news for ya!" I call. My twin girls run out and tackle Luke with hugs then Mel walks out and hangs on my shoulder. "What's the news?" She asks, kissing my cheek. I smile. "Hey don't need you getting pregnant too, now." I tease. My wife busts out laughing and my best friend and my sister make disgusted faces. "I'm having twin boys Mel!" "Oh you are!" Mel cries almost as ecstatic as Miranda. They go to the kitchen to talk and finish dinner. "Hey Jason," Luke says. "Yeah?" I ask, picking up one of my six year olds. "Why do girls go nutso over having babies." I smile as Kendyl hugs my neck. "It's the all American dream, my friend. Have a wife a couple kids, well in their cases a husband and a couple kids. Luckily Mel didn't mind havin' kids that biologically aren't hers." "Dude what was it like when you first found out you were gonna be a dad." Well that's different for me. I didn't know about it until they were on my doorstep. I tell him that and he doesn't know what to say. "Listen buddy, when the time comes, you'll know what to do." He smiles. "Dinner's ready!" Mel shouts. We sit down at the dining room.

*later*

"Jason," I turn around to my sister. "What's up?" "I'm nervous about this." She says rubbing her stomach. "You'll be fine girl. Those babies are gonna havw the best parents ever!" "No they aren't! I don't know the first thing about being a mama!" I smile. "You take great care of the girls. You and Luke have a strong loving relationship, you don't have to worry about a thing and those boys I'm tellin' ya now they will be hunters and they will be fishermen." She smiles. "You really think I can do this?" "I know you can." I hear Luke singing huntin', fishin', and lovin' everyday. "Wow. What a coincidence." I put my hat on her head. "They'll be taken care of by a country girl mama who don't take shit from nobody. And a country boy who's such a mama's boy, his plus one at the 2005 ACM awards was his mama." She laughs hysterically. "Mam tried to raise a lady but daddy won. He raised a lady that don't take shit from no one." She says. "She sure did, sweetheart, now get in there and make out with your husband." She laughs. "You hush Jay!" We walk into the living room luke was singing drink a beer and the girls were starting to drift off in Melanie's arms. He lowers the guitar. Melanie wipes her eyes. "Wow Luke that song is so sad!" He smiles. "For my brother and sister who passed away." Man that poor guy sure had a rough childhood. I'll never forget the way he cried when he came over.

~flashback~

I was getting ready to pick the girls up for school when I heard Luke's truck. The door slammed shut and I wondered what in the hell was up with him. The door opened and he sat down on the couch looking shell shocked. "Luke, what's the matter buddy?" "It's my sister. S-She's dead!" My jaw hit the floor. "Whoa! Oh man!" I gasp sitting beside him. I texted mama to pick up the girls for me. This was only a few months before I found out I had a sister. "Oh jeez Luke I can't.... Even imagine.... What you're going through." He sobs into his hands and I grab him a beer. That's when we wrote drink a beer together. The original copy is tear stained and framed in Luke's study. I hugged my best friend for what seemed like hours.

~flashback over~

I feel someone shaking my arm. "Huh? What?" I ask, confused. "You've just been standing there with a sad look on your face for thirty minutes." Melanie said. "Oh I was thinkin'. Man I hate that Luke lost his brother and sister. I have no idea how he's so cheery and happy after going through that not once but twice. I don't know what I'd do if something were to happen to Miranda." "Like her getting cancer again." "Jeez babe don't give me nightmares." She smiles. "Sorry Jay." I sigh. "I'm going to hit the sack early tonight. All this has me a little down now." We put the kids to bed and I sit down. Melanie gets out of the shower. "You feelin' better, Jay?" I sigh and stare at the ground. She sits beside me and hugs me. "Babe what am I gonna do.... If..... By some chance she does..... Get cancer again? I'm not as strong as Luke. I won't be able to handle it." "Jason, calm down! She doesn't. She's fine. You're worrying yourself over nothing. Remember your blood pressure." "Oh right." I take a deep breath and lay down. I can't get worked up. Can't risk another heart attack. My God. I sit back up. "What if.... I died.... Of a damned heart attack! What about you and the kids and her!?" "Jason, calm down!" I lay back down. "Dammit. I'm really stupid." She laughs. "No you're a family man who worries when he shouldn't. You're my little worry wart." I smile. "Goodnight Melanie. I love you!" "I love you too, Jason. You complete me!"