Bad News

Jason's pov

I get to her house and she's crying on the couch. "What's going on?" Her adoptive mom walks out of the kitchen, crying too. "Jason, three years ago, I had bad ovarian cancer and it almost killed me.... Well I had my six month appointment and well it's back." Oh my God! My sister has cancer! I'm shocked. "W-What c-can I do?" "Nothing really. I just figured you should know." I shakily walk over to the couch where she was sitting. "It'll be okay. You'll be alright." I mumble, my voice cracking. I hug her.

*later*

I dread telling mom and dad. I worriedly walk inside. Keely and Kendyl shout dad and run over. I hug them both. "Where's grandma?" "Out back." I walk out there and dad was grilling. "Um.... Mom you might wanna sit down for this.... I have.... Some really bad news." "What's wrong? Did it not work out with Ali?" Ugh. "This has nothing to do with her, mom." I say, scrunching my eyes. "What is it son?" Dad asks, flipping a burger. "Miranda's got cancer." He drops the spatula and mom's eyes go wide. "W-What?" She whimpers.

Miranda's pov

The doctor was going over everything. "Yeah yeah doc. I know the drill." I say, sighing sadly. My best friend Melanie pats my hand. "It'll be okay. Dad gets back from filling out paperwork. Mom is trying to stop crying. I then hear running footsteps and see familiar blonde hair. Keely! "W-What? How'd you get here?" I gasp. "Daddy brought us!" She says, hugging me. "Oh uh mom, dad, this is Keely, my niece." I mumble, worried. I don't want this poor girl to see me all torn up. Ugh my IV is itching. I hear Jason's cowboy boots then he appears in the doorway, carrying stuff. Huh? Kendyl is also beside him. "Hey bro." I say. He smiles. "Um I'm not sure what ya wanna do but I told mom and dad and they're in the waiting room." I sigh. "They can come but the girls really shouldn't be here. I don't want them to see me like this." I whisper, worriedly, glancing at Kendyl. "He runs his hand through his hair unsure. "I uh talked to a few friends of yours and got your favorite books and stuff so ya wouldn't get bored." I smile. "Thanks Jason." I hug him and he goes to get our parents. "Since when did you have nieces?" Melanie asks, wide eyed. I pat Keely's head, the young five year old giggling. "Since I found out I had a brother." I say smiling. I love my brother. And my nieces. Melanie hugs me. "Well I gotta get to work. I'll see you after though. I promise." I smile. "Ok bye Mel." Mom runs in and hugs me, crying. I sigh and pat her back. "It's okay mom this isn't the first time."

Jason's pov

This is nerve wracking. I just get my sister back and now I might lose her again! Luke gets here and is having trouble breathing from running. "You okay man?" He asks. I sit in a waiting room chair, worried out of my mind. "I don't... I can't lose her, man. We just met... We have so much still to talk about.... To do.... The girls love her! What am I gonna tell them if she dies!?" He pats my back. "You gotta stay positive, Jay. Otherwise you'll completely freak out. All I know is she needs you now more than ever. She needs support through all this." I shakily nod. "Can you look over Keely and Kendyl for a while? She said she didn't want them to see her all torn up from the chemo." He nods. "Anytime buddy." I smile. I sure am lucky to have a best friend like him.