Another Day

Jason's pov

Ali rubs my tense shoulders as I try hard not to cry. I can't lose my sister. Not now. We just got reacquainted. And I already love that little girl to death. "Daddy why are you crying?" Kendyl asks, sitting in my lap and wiping a tear from my cheek. I hug her tight. "Daddy's just sad about Aunt Miranda." I whimper. Luke walks in the room. "Come on girls." He says. Kendyl kisses my cheek and goes with Luke. Both girls look back at me worried. "I'm okay, guys." "We better get up to the hospital." Ali says. I nod.

Miranda's pov

Doc says I have to calm my breathing or I could go into shock. I close my eyes. Mom holds my hand. Jason and Ali walk through the door. I smile. "Hey." He looks like he's been crying. I nod in reply. "Can we uh get some time alone?" He asks, looking around. Everyone leaves. Dad kisses my head. Jason sits in the chair beside my bed. "Are you okay?" I ask. He smiles. "Shouldn't I be asking you that?" I shake my head worried about the young cowboy. And for the next four hours, we talked about everything from my future plans to his new album. He sang several songs for me. I couldn't sing with him because it was impossible to sing. The doctor walks in and changes out my IV. "Jason, when we were kids did you ever feel that void?" I whisper, staring at the ceiling. "What do you mean?" "Like I always had a nagging feeling as a kid that something was missing obviously that something was my brother." He smiles. "You've gotta get better." He whispers shakily, the smile fading. I put a hand over his. "It's gonna be okay. I'm stronger than I was before." "So most likely you'll kick this? You're sure?" I smile and sit up painstakingly. "Yes. I'll be okay." We hug then Melanie walks in. "Oh sorry I hope I wasn't interrupting anything." I shake my head. She smiles. "Well um tonight at nine tune the TV to CBS. I'm playin' on the ACM awards and up for an award." He says standing up. "I'll make sure to watch." I say, grabbing his hand. He hugs me again then his phone vibrates. "Mike." He says then answers it. "Sup?" I laugh a little and he smiles at me. "Yeah I'm on my way. Just wanted to stop by and see my little sis." I smile and he waves while still talking on the phone.

*later*

I turn the awards on and the girls had to stay with my birth mom who stayed up here with me. Luke, Jason, and Eric go onstage to play the only way I know. The music dies down and Jason grabs the mic. "Before I play this song, I just want to dedicate this song to my baby sister fighting cancer. I love you and you're gonna kick this." Tears spring to my eyes and mom pats my shoulder. Then they break into the song.

Jason's pov

"That's the only way I know." I sing slinging an arm around Luke's shoulder. "Don't stop til everything's gone." Eric sings. We get through the rest of the song and I get offstage, signing autographs for fans as I pass. "Your sister is in our prayers." One says. I smile. "Thanks." I get back to my seat. Ali hugs me. "You did great up there."

*later*

I walk back in her hospital room and she's asleep with the end credits playing. I smile and sit beside her bed. I turn the TV off. The sudden quiet wakes her up. "Hey Jason." I hug her. "How ya feelin'?" "Better. I loved the dedication. And album of the year win that's awesome." "I was itchin' for entertainer but ya win some ya lose some." "When are they gonna realize the real talent keeps on getting looked over?" She says making me laugh. "Luke's got talent too and I wasn't saying he didn't but you deserve entertainer." "One of these days hun. The fans are prayin' for ya." She smiles. "I'm tired so I'm going back to sleep." I've gotta get the girls. "See ya in the mornin' sis."