A Persistent Georgia Boy

Miranda's pov

I wake up and stretch tiredly. I tie the bandanna around my head since my hair hasn't grown back yet. I go check the mail and am surprised to find a handwritten note.

Roses are red
Violets are blue
Your eyes sparkle like a diamond
And you know it's true.
Meet me out by the old basketball courts for a special night you'll never forget.

I drop the letter in shock. Luke's still trying to get me to be with him. I go back inside and call Melanie. I don't know who else to talk to about this.

Jason's pov

Melanie puts the phone on speaker while we were watching TV. "Hey Mel, I gotta talk to you about something important and you can't tell Jason." My eyes go wide. I stay quiet though. Melanie looks at me funny but I just shrug not having a clue what was going on here. "What's up?" "Luke sent me a love letter asking me to meet him. I think I really want to." That bastard! I shake my head quickly. "I uh I don't think that's a good idea." She says. "Why not? What's so bad about him?" I can't take this. I take the phone and go in the other room. "Because he's not who you think he is. I know who he is." "Wait! What? You've been listening in!" "Yes. You were on speaker. Don't go after this thing with Luke. I'm warning you it'll only end in heartbreak." "Why? What's so wrong with him." I sigh. "Hun, I've known that guy for ten years almost. He's not a long term relationship kinda guy. He's a lot like Ali without the gold digger part of it." She's silent for a few seconds. "Ok. Thanks Jason." I smile. "You're welcome sis."

*later*

I head to the bar and Luke is just walking out with his guitar. I eye him suspiciously and watch him walk to the basketball courts. Hm, what is this?! I decide to follow him. He just waits there for several minutes. "What are you doing?" I ask finally stepping out. He jumps in surprise. "What the hell man?!" "I followed you. Who are you waiting for?!" He glares at me. "I'm waiting for Miranda. What do you want?" "What I want is for you to stay away from my sister!" I yell. "And she's not coming. I warned her about you." His eyes go wide. "Dammit!" I cross my arms. "You're not getting in bed with my sister!" "You're an idiot Jason! I'm not trying to get in bed with her. I love her! Get the hell over it and stay out of my life!" He stomps away.

Miranda's pov

A knock at the door gets me off the couch. I set my bowl of ice cream down and pause my Channing Tatum movie. Before I even make it to the door, I hear singing. "Girl I know I don't know you but your pretty little eyes so blue are pullin' me in like the moon on your skin, I'm so glad ya trusted me slide up in this dusty seat and let your hair down, get outta town." I open the door confused. Luke is playing guitar and singing. "You got your hands up, you're rockin' in my truck, ya got the radio on you're singin' every song I'm set on cruise control I'm slowly losin' hold of everything I got you're lookin' so damn hot, and I don't know what road we're on or where we've been from starin' at you girl all I know is I don't want this night to end." He sings the song and I timidly walk over. He lowers the guitar. "I know Jason told you stuff. It's crap okay. I really really like you. Give me a chance please?" Tears come to my eyes.

Jason's pov

I run up her drive out of breath from running all the way here. Her legs are shaking as she walks over. "No!" I gasp but it's barely above a whisper because of my out of breathness. "No Luke don't." "Ok." She whispers, worrying me. She collapses and he grabs her around the waist holding her up. This is bullshit. It's just a way to get in her pants. A ploy. He's a damn player but not to my sister. "Luke get your damned hands off her!" I yell, finally getting my voice back. I step into the porch light. His grip gets tighter around her waist. My poor confused sister looks torn. "I'll talk to him." She says, walking over to me. "I want this Jason. I'm gonna be fine." "No you aren't. You don't know what you're getting into with him!" I gasp desperate for her to believe me! She glances back at Luke. "I'm alright and you can't look out for me forever." Tears come to my eyes. "I just...... I couldn't look out for you before. It's my job, my obligation as older brother to take care of you now!" I say beggingly. "Look, man, if this is what you believe, you can kick my ass later. But I can certainly say without a shadow of a doubt, it's not that." Luke says only making me more pissed. I shakily turn back to my sister. "You go inside and I'll have a talk with Luke." I say, gently setting a hand on her cheek. She glances at Luke worriedly then goes inside. He opens his mouth to speak but I quickly shut him up. "Don't say a damned thing just listen boy. It ain't about beating your ass after. It's about you hurting my sister. I don't wanna see her cry again. So Luke I won't beat your ass if this is bullshit and you're just looking for a way to get lucky. I will. Kill. You." His eyes go wide. "You can't be serious!" I narrow my eyes, my fists tensing up and shaking, itching to punch something. "Dead fucking serious, Luke." "I promise, Jay it ain't what ya think." "It better not be." He shakes his head. "It ain't." I take a deep breath and let it out slowly. "Then....." I'm reluctant to say this. "Go get your girl." I mumble instantly regretting it. He smiles and puts a hand on my shoulder. "You won't regret this man. I promise." Then he runs inside.