Chapter 9

Kite's POV:

"Ange, I'm going to go to feed the lions in the garage. Go with Liam to see his cousin or go to the  playground, okay?" I instructed Belle.

"Très bien!" she yelped and ran to Liam, who was outside already.

Okay, I fed the lions and the lionesses, I thought. Now to check on my girlfriend and her little brother.

Yes I have a girlfriend. Her name is Gwen Flores, and we've been together since we rescued her two years ago.

"The soldiers are eliminated," I reported to Lexi.

"Alright, let's go check for any survivors around here." And we started searching for any survivors.

The town was small, so there were about 10 houses.

"Kite and Josh, go into the two houses on the left. Danny, the three houses in the middle. Phil and Jesse, two houses next to Danny. I'll go check the other three houses," Lexi ordered. We all nodded, and we went into the houses we were told to go in to.

Since Josh and I were told to go into two houses, Josh told me to go in one house and he goes in the other.

I readied my crossbow and aimed it at the front door of the rundown house. I kicked the door open and took cover for any sudden attacks. But nothing. I looked inside, and it was complete silence.

I slowly walked inside and searched for anything suspicious or useful. Surprisingly, there were arrows that I could use for my crossbow. I'll get these later, I thought.

I heard a whimper in one of the rooms across the hallway. I took a deep breath, and kicked open the door that I heard the whimper from. I looked around the room and there was nothing. Just a regular girly room.

Then I heard heavy and fast breathing. It's coming from under the bed, I thought.

"Whoever is under the bed, come out. I'm not going to hurt whoever you are," I said. It's the truth.

A hand stretched out from under the bed, then a head with long silver blonde hair, then a whole body.

"Now stand up with your hands up," I said.

When the person stood up, it was a girl who at least looked 16. She looked scared shit. She had bruises from her face, to her arms, and her legs. She looked like she hadn't eaten in a long time. Her sliver blonde hair contrasted with her dark green hazel eyes. A button nose on her face and pale skin.

Then she started crying. Shit, I don't know what to do. I don't know if she's faking, or she's really crying.

"Please don't hurt my baby brother. You can do anything to me, but don't hurt my brother." Baby brother?

"Where's your brother?" I asked.

The girl sniffled, and said, "Aiden come out. It's okay. I won't let him hurt you."

Then a little boy of 2 years old came out from under the bed and clung to his sister's leg. Then the boy started crying along with his sister.

"It's okay, I'm not going to hurt you two. Me and my group are looking for survivors or anything useful, like food or weapons. Do you know any thing we could use or eat?" I asked.

The girl attempted to carry her baby brother, but she was too weak. She almost dropped Aiden, but then I was able to catch him before he could touch the ground.

"Gwen!" Aiden squealed as he jumped out of my arms and tried to comfort his sister.

"It's okay, baby. There's food, but there are some weapons that I think you could find useful," Gwen said weakly.