Nona's Story

"Mommy, can we go see Nona?" Bleu asks when he looks up from his toys.

"Baby, Nona is in Rome." I remind him.

"No, my Nona." He says. "At the grave yard."

"Oh!" I say and he laughs. "Yeah, we can go see Nona. You get ready, baby."

Bleu runs up the stairs to get the toys that he wants to bring with him. I go to the closet to grab my keys, shoes, and jacket. I pull Bleu's little leather jacket out of the closet as well and his little Nikes. Bleu loves his leather jacket, he says it makes him look like his daddy.

I can't classify Bleu as a mama's boy or a daddy's boy. I see a lot of Nikki in him but Nikki says he sees a lot of me in our baby. Bleu is insanely stubborn but he gets that from both of us. He is the biggest sweetheart on this planet and I swear that he gets that from his dad. Actually the only thing that comes to mind that Bleu and I have in common is our sky blue eyes that Nikki is still crazy about.

Bleu comes downstairs with Scorpio and Orion in toe. I bend down to help him tie his shoes but he stops me.

"Mommy, I can do it. I've been practicing." He tells me and picks up the laces.

"Remember the song, baby?" I ask and he nods.

"Over, under, around and through, meet Mr. Bunny Rabbit, pull and through."

Bleu does the steps as he sings them and ties his shoes almost perfectly and I smile.

"Bleu! You did it!" I say and hug him tightly. "I'm so proud of you! Daddy is going to be so happy."

I help him put on his jacket and Bleu zips it up. We go out to my car and I get him buckled up in his car seat. I drive out towards the cemetery but stop to buy flowers to put on mom's grave.

When we get to the cemetery we walk over to wear my mom is buried. I really wanted her to be buried in Alabama with my daddy but it said specifically in her will that she wanted to be buried in Los Angeles. Her reasoning as written in her will so that 'Skylar could always seen one of her parents'.

Bleu grabs my hand as make it to mom's headstone.

"Baby, you want to put the flowers down for Nona?" I ask and he nods happily.

Bleu takes the flowers from my hand and gently places them on the ground in front of the headstone.

"Hi Nona, we brought you flowers, they're yellow!" He says and I smile. "I wish I could've met you and grandpa, daddy says you both loved mommy a lot."

I sit down on the grass and watch my son talk. Bleu does this every time we come out here and when we went to Alabama he talked to my daddy and uncle Ronnie as well. He likes to talk to them, when I asked him around it Bleu just smiled and said 'they're always watching, mommy'.

"Mommy, this is tomorrow." Bleu tells me and points to the death date on the stone, March 5th 1988.

"Yeah. Nona died six years ago tomorrow." I say and he nods.

"How'd she die?" He asks and crawls into my lap.

"Nona was sick, she had cancer. I got a call late a night saying that she was in the hospital, she didn't have that much time left. Daddy and I sat in the waiting room almost all day--"

"On your birthday?" Bleu asks and I nod.

"On my birthday. See Nona wasn't going to have any of that, she got daddy to talk me out of the hospital for a while and I didn't want to go." I explain.

"What did you do?" My son asks and I smile.

"We rode daddy's motorcycle." I say and he smiles.

"I like when daddy takes me on rides." Bleu admits and I nod.

"Me too." I agree. "Nona slipped into a coma but held on until four minutes after midnight. Then she was gone." I explain.

"Do you miss her?" He wonders and I nod.

"Yeah Bleu, I miss her a lot." I admit and I look at my watch. "Daddy's going to be home soon, we should head home." I say and he stands up. "Blow Nona a kiss, Bleu."

"Bye Nona, love you." He says and blows her a kiss. "Your turn, mommy."

"Bye mama, love you." I say and blow my mom a kiss.

When we get home there's a few bikes sitting in front of our house signalling that not only Nikki is home but so are Tommy, Mick, and John. Bleu unbuckles himself and runs inside to see his favourite uncles, Tommy and Mick. He runs inside and I follow in after him.

Bleu is already playing on the floor with Tommy, Mick and John watch them, and Nikki walks down the stairs. He comes up behind me and kisses my cheek. 

"Please be nice." He says quietly in my ear and I smile.

"I'm always nice." I say and he laughs.

"That's really funny, babe." Nikki laughs and turns me around. "I love you."

"I love you too." I say and he kisses my lips.

We kiss for a a little while before Tommy groans.

"Do you honestly have to do that?" He complains. "Your child is sitting right there."

"Bleu, do me a favour and cover your eyes for a second." Nikki says and he nods.

Bleu covers his eyes with his little hands but smiles brightly. Nikki and I take this opportunity to flip off Tommy who laughs then mocks hurt.

"I am hurt." The drummer states dramatically and we laugh.

Nikki

"---and they all lived happily ever after." Skylar finishes the story.

I've been standing in the doorway for about fifteen minutes watching my wife read to my son. Bleu's been asleep as long as I've been standing here but Skylar kept reading the story.

"You know he's been asleep for a while now." I say while Skylar tucks Bleu in and I help.

"I know but I like to finish the story." She explains.

"Where did you guys go today?" I wonder and she kisses Bleu's forehead.

"We went to see mom." Skylar says and I kiss my son's forehead. "It was Bleu's idea."

I grab her hand and shut off Bleu's light, Skylar closes the door gently before sighing.

"He's so big, makes me wonder where the time went." She admits as we walk downstairs.

"Yeah but I don't miss changing diapers." I admit and she laughs. "You you feel thirty?" I ask and she laughs.

"I'm twenty five." Skylar laughs and I grin.

"You were twenty nine this morning." I remind her as we sit down on the couch.

"Remember New Year's Eve 1987?" She asks with a smile.

"When we almost had sex in the pool?" I smirk and she rolls her eyes.

"I was thinking about getting arrested." Skylar remind me and I laugh.

"It was fun." I remind her and kiss her cheek. "I love you."

"I love you too." She tells me and puts her forehead on mine.

"You're thirty." I say quietly and she scowls making me laugh.

"I hate you." Skylar says and I laugh.

"Love you too, baby." I say and kiss her lips."You're still the most beautiful woman I've ever laid eyes on."

"Thank you, baby." Skylar says quietly. "You're the best thing that's ever happened to me. Maybe second best, only second to Bleu."

"Only if I'm behind my son, I can handle that." I admit and she smiles.