Preterm and Talks With Daddy

Nikki

Skylar has always been tiny and underweight, she always pushed it off as a side effect from having depression for so many years. Even when she became pregnant with our son she stayed tiny and didn't gain any weight. It worried me but the doctor said that the baby was healthy. I really didn't think too much about it because the baby was healthy. I'm not sure if that makes me a shit husband or not.

April 27th 1990
Liverpool, England
3:00 am

The phone ripped me from sleep and I damn near fell out of bed trying to find the phone. I find the phone and hold it to my ear.

"Hello?" I ask.

"Nikki? There's a really big problem!" Alex tells me.

"What kind of problem?" I wonder.

"Remember how Skylar hasn't gained much weight and she doesn't look eight months pregnant? She's in labour!" The model tells me.

"She's not due until the thirty first of May." I say as I rub my eyes.

"I know, Nik. Skylar is delivering preterm." Alex tells me. "They took her in an ambulance, Nikki, it's really serious."

My wife is in labour and I'm in a different continent! I'm eight hours ahead of them and my wife is going to have my son now. I have to get on the next flight. I have to be there for them...I've got to be.

"You haven't said anything in a while, Nikki." Alex pulls me from my thoughts.

"Tell her that I'll be on the next flight." I am able to stutter out.

"I will, I promise. I told her that I'd meet her at the hospital." She says and I nod but then I realize that she can't see me.

"Tell Skylar that I love her and I'll be there as soon as I can?" I ask.

"Of course I will, I'll see you soon." Alex says as the phone disconnects.

I call the airport and there's a flight leaving in an hour that I can get on. I literally throw everything into my suitcases not caring about folding or how everything is organized. All I care about right now is Skylar and our unborn son, they need me right now. They need me more than Vince, Tommy, and Mick do.

I run out into the hallway and bang on all their doors. Mick opens the door half asleep, Tommy opens the door half naked, Vince opens the door dressed and with his suitcase. Mick and Tommy look at the singer funny but he looks at me.

"Alex called me as soon as she got off the phone with you." He admits and Mick looks at me.

"What's going on?" The guitarist wonders.

"Skylar went into early labour." I say and his eyes grow. "I've gotta get back to her."

"Give me ten minutes." Mick says and closes the hotel room door again.

"Yeah, me too." Tommy says and does the same thing.

I look at Vince confused and he laughs.

"We're all family, whether we like it or not that includes our wives too." Vince tells me and I smile.

"Fair enough." I agree with a laugh.

Skylar
April 27 1990
Los Angeles, California
7:30pm

When I arrive at the hospital the doctor quickly checks me over before saying that I have to go to emergency c-section because the baby's heart rare was dropping. They nurses ignored my complaints about my husband not being here yet, I'm like five weeks early, and that this can't possibly be happening. But they shortly give me the meds and I get knocked out.