The Guard Dog

"I think I want a dog." I state as Smudge crawls into my lap.

I pet Smudge and Alex sits down beside me.

"You're just upset about yours and Nikki's fight, Skylar." Alexandria says and I frown.

"No, I'm serious. Like a husky." I say and she smiles.

"I heard there was some husky puppies down at the shelter." She says. "I was going to adopt one, want to go look at them?"

"Yes!" I smile and she laughs.

We drive down to the shelter and I instantly feel bad for every dog that lives here. It seems crowded and before even looking at them I want to take home every dog. We walk into the office and I can hear dogs barking. Alex smiles at secretary.

"Hi Alex, here to adopt another dog?" She asks and I laugh.

"They know you by name?" I ask and she smiles.

"Hi Diane, we heard about some husky puppies." Alex says and the secretary frowns.

"There's only one left but he's a cutie." She says. "You wanna see him?"

We walk back and I hear the dogs barking. I want a dog, I really want a dog! I love Smudge and Stella, Alex refers to me as Auntie Skylar when the dogs are around. They just love her unconditionally and I want a dog like that.

"His mama died shortly after the puppies were born. This little guy was the smallest but he is the most adorable thing ever! If it wasn't for the fact that I have six dogs and four cats he'd be home with me." The secretary explains.

We walk up to one of the kennels and she unlocks it. We walk in and sitting in the corner sleeping so very peacefully is a black and white husky puppy. When he opens his eyes open they're a beautiful shade of blue. He pads over to us and up to my feet. He growls at me like he's trying to be scary but he's the most adorable thing ever!

I pick him up and hug him close to me. He nips at my thumbs and growls at me.

"Al, I love him!" I say and she laughs.

"You're always into men that try to hurt you." She jokes. "I like he loves you too."

He has moved to licking my thumb rather than biting it. I kiss his fur. I want him, I want him so much much.

"I think this is what love looks like, Sky." Alex says and scratches behind his ears.

"Yeah, I think so." I agree.

"So are we going to fill out adoption papers?" The secretary wonders.

"Yeah, I want him." I admit and rub his nose. "I love you, little one."

We go to fill out the paper work but I don't want to put him down. Alexandria end up taking him from me and cuddling him close to her. I fill out my address and stuff like that but then I come to his name. I forgot that I had to name him! Jesus Christ! I didn't think this through completely! Shit! I look between the dog and the paper. Alex smiles.

"Scorpio." She says and I light up.

"I love it!" I say and I scribble it down on a piece of paper.

So I have a dog now.

Nikki

So I'm the biggest dumbass to ever walk god's green earth, well, at least according to Mick. He said I was an absolute dumbass to argue with Skylar about her job and that her being around men is the exact same as me being around groupies during concerts. So I'm the idiot in this scenario.

I've got to apologize to her because I feel like shit and I don't know how to do it so I am flying by the seat of my pants here.

I go to knock on her door but remember that Skylar doesn't lock her door. I turn the nob and walk in. I just get the door clothes and something runs down the stairs.....and it's not happy to see me...and it's not Skylar.

A husky puppy with a spiked collar. It's the least intimidating thing on this planet but it thinks it ten feet tall and bulletproof. So it's definitely Skylar's dog. I instantly start laughing at the dog because it's trying to kill me and it's a tiny little puppy. He starts to crew of my boot and someone walks down the stairs.

"Scorpio, what's wrong, huh?" Skylar calls down the stairs.

She looks up once she's about halfway down stairs and sees me. Skylar stops dead in her tracks and looks at me while her dog is teething on my boot. She quickly shakes off whatever she was thinking about and finishes walking down the stairs. She picks up the dog, who's name must be Scorpio.

"You got a guard dog, I see." I say and I scratch behind his ears. "He's real deadly."

I notice him gnawing at her thump gently and I smile. The dog loves Skylar that's for certain.

"Why were you bugging my dog?" She asks and I half smile.

"The ferocious beast tried to kill me." I state and she rolls her eyes.

Skylar turns and walks into the kitchen I follow her in. She puts Scorpio on the floor as she goes into the fridge. Scorpio stands at her feet glaring at me. So this is what Vince met by dogs hating boyfriends.

I think Skylar got new jeans. I mean her ass looks really great in them.

"Are you staring at my ass?" She asks without turn back.

How did she possibly know that?

"No." I lie and I close my eyes at how stupid I sounded.

In the next second she turns around and puts a couple of bottles of Budweiser on the island. She opens one and starts drinking it while leaning on the counter. I reach for the other one and open it as well.

Neither of us talk for a while and I start to pick at the label of my beer.

"Mick called me a dumbass for fighting with you." I admit and she half smiles.

"It took Mick for you to realize that? Sweetheart, a blind/deaf person could've figured that one out." Skylar says.

"Sky, remember how I warned you that I don't like sharing?" I ask and she nods.

"I didn't think my job counted." She admits.

"If it involves guys that aren't gay then it counts." I admit with a laugh and she smiles. "You're mine, babe. I don't share and I especially don't share with Bret Michaels."

I walk around the island so I'm standing across from her. Scorpio stands between us and I smile down at the little dog. I look back at Skylar and she smiles.

"Come here." I say and she nods.

Skylar closes the gap between us and Scorpio sits down beside us. I put my hands on her hips and her hands go land gently on my shoulders. I bend down to kiss her and she kisses me back.

"But if it's for work, I can live with you being around other guys." I say quietly when she pulls away.

"Babe, the interview is at a bar. I never said you couldn't come." Skylar says and I light up.

"I am going to make the biggest scene there." I say and she kisses me to cover my laugh.

"I hate you." She mumbles and I laugh.

"I hate you too, babe." I say.