Office Meeting

I hate going to the office, I just want the record to show that. I've always been more of a homebody and I enjoy working from my house. I mean I can finish a report in my pyjamas while eating Chinese food without being judged there. I don't belong in an office setting, I'm sorry I refuse to wear a pantsuit. But every once in a while I have to go to the office and give my reports to the editor and meet with Henry.

I walk into the office building wearing a pair of jeans, a red lace crop top (that Nikki made me buy because since Alexandria's wedding he has been saying that I look good in dark red) under my leather jacket, and I wear a pair of black cowboy boots. So I'm dressed like this in an office building filled with men in hand made Italian suits and uptight women who wear pantsuits that make them look like they're dying inside.

Anyways I walk over to the editor and hand him my last couple of interviews, that's when I get intercepted by Henry.

"Skylar, superstar." He greets me and I smile.

"Hey Hen, I was just on my way to see you." I say.

"Oh sweetie about that, i have to appear in front of the board today so I'm going to have to postpone our interview." Henry explains and I nod.

"Okay, no worries." I say. "If that's everything I think I'm going to head home."

"Oh superstar, I forgot to tell you." He pulls me back. "Your mother came in here about fifteen minutes ago. Since I knew you were coming I just told her to wait in your office. I thought you said your mom died."

"I said she was gone." I recall. "Why the hell did you let her into my office?! Do you just let anyone into my office?!"

"Skylar, she had your birthday certificate!" He hisses.

Yeah, I have to get another one issued to me when I was ten. Thanks for that mom, fucking bitch.

"Look, you have to get her out. Like now!" I demand and he sighs.

A small intern runs up to Henry and hands him a note. He skims the note then looks up.

"I have to go talk to the legion of the undead." Henry sighs. "Good luck with your mom."

He walks away and I sigh. If he wasn't my fucking boss I'd murder him with a plastic spoon. I walk upstairs to my office and stand in front of the door. I'm going to kill someone. I take a deep breath and open the door.

My mother is sitting in one of the chairs looking at my pictures. Most of them are my father and I, or Alex and I, some of them are actually pictures of Nikki and I. She looks back at me and smiles.

"Skylar, you're so beautiful. How I've missed you, Bella." She says with her Italian accent and steps closer to me which makes me step back. "Skylar, I am your mother. I came here from Alabama to make peace with you."

"You abandoned me after my father died." I remind her. "You expect after fifteen years to have a relationship with me?!"

"Skylar, I did what I thought was best for you." She states and I roll my eyes.

"Yes, leaving your daughter after her father dies. You left when I needed you the most!" I tell her. "I don't need you anymore. I got strong without you, I learned how to ride a bike without you, I finished high school without you, I got into university without you, I have this great job and a great boyfriend. I did it all without you."

"Skylar--"

"Are you even sorry?" I ask. "In all honesty you don't even seem sorry for leaving me."

"Cara, do you remember any of your Italian? You were almost fluent when your were a child." She wonders. "Or your Nona and your Nono? They miss you, Bella."

I do remember somethings. I remember being five years old running up to a plump lady with and apron on. Her hair was brown and permed. I remember a tall man--taller than my father--he used to throw me up on his shoulders and I felt like I was on top of the world. I remember the man playing his guitar with my father. I remember the lady cooking with my mother. I remember the air in Italy smelt like fresh bread and pastries. There was something warm and welcoming about it there, like home.

As for my Italian I'm not fluent but I remember some words. For example Bella is beautiful and cara is darling, amore is love and sì is yes.

"." I answer quietly.

"Please amore, give me a chance." She pleads. "I'm living in Los Angeles now so nothing has to be done today."

"Can I think things over?" I ask and she smiles.

"Sì, cara." She says. "I'll give you my phone number."

My mother writes down the phone number and leaves. That's it.

I went home, fed my dog, and fell asleep and I didn't wake up until I heard the phone going off. I roll over and grab the cordless phone from the bedside table.

"Hello?" I yawn.

"Hey babe, did I wake you?" Nikki wonders.

"Oh no, of course not." I say and he laughs.

"Even on another continent I can hear you lying." My boyfriend tells me. "It's like what? Eleven at night there?"

"Yeah so it's like what? Ten in the morning in Moscow?" I ask.

"Yeah I just woke up." Nikki says. "I miss you so much, babe."

"I miss you too." I admit. "You'll never guess who I talked to today."

"Who?" He asks.

"My mother." I say.

"What?"

"She's living in LA now and she wants to start to have a relationship with me." I explain.

"So what are you going to do?" Nikki wonders.

"I'm not sure yet." I admit. "What do you think?"

"I think you should at least try to talk to her." He says. "I'm not saying let her in completely but try something."

"She wants to have coffee." I say.

"Have coffee with her then, Sky." Nikki says. "I mean she hasn't done a lot of right but she's still your mom, babe."

"You're right." I admit and he laughs.

"Of course I am, I'm the rock god, remember?" He jokes and I laugh.

"I love you so much." I tell him.

"I love you too, Sky but you need to sleep." Nikki tells me. "Call me when you wake up okay?"

"Okay." I agree.

"Goodnight, Skylar. Sweet dreams, babe, I love you." My boyfriend tells me and I smile.

"Good morning, Nik. Have a good day, I love you." I say and he laughs.

The phone disconnects and I get up. Scorpio grumbles above having to move off my legs. I walk over to the jeans I worm today and pull out my mom's number. I dial the number and hold the phone to my ear. It takes exactly three rings for me to see the time.

"Hello?" Her voice answers.

"Uh, Monique? It's Skylar, sorry if I woke you up." I say awkwardly. "I was wondering if you wanted to get coffee tomorrow afternoon?"

"Okay, say one o'clock? There's a coffee shop by your office we could go to?" She asks.

"Yeah, I'll see you then." I say.

"Sounds good." She agrees and hangs up the phone.

I guess I know where I get my horrible on phone skills from.

I lay back down in bed and Scorpio lays down with his head on my stomach and I pet his head.

I'm actually going to meet with my mother tomorrow. That's something I thought I'd never do.