24 Hours

Nikki

I wasn't expecting to spend my girlfriend's birthday at the hospital. We got the call really early in the morning. Skylar's mom took a turn for the worst and it's really not looking good.

Something inside Skylar broke when she they told her on the phone. She just started to get dressed without telling me what the hell is going on. Skylar told me what was going but her voice was hallow and empty. It hurts me to see her like that.

We've been at the hospital since about four o'clock in the morning. Skylar is staring blankly at a wall. She hasn't said much the whole time we have been here and I can't exactly blame her. I mean her mom might not make it to tomorrow. I don't like to see her like this, I long to see her smile again and to hear her laugh.

"Skylar, baby, what are you thinking about?" I ask and she half smiles.

"This one time, I think I was like six. We were in this city in Illinois called Rockford and with our last name my dad thought it was great. Anyways it was almost Christmas and my dad wanted to go ice skating. This was the first and only time I've ever been on skates so you can imagine how ended for me. See mom can't skate all that well either and when she was on the ice it was easily the most scared I've ever seen her." Skylar explains and smiles. "But when I went in to see her earlier she's wasn't like that. My mom is on death row and she doesn't seem sacred at all. It just doesn't make sense to me."

"She's been sick for a while, babe. Maybe she's just prepared herself for it." I say and she studies me.

"How do you prepare yourself to die when you haven't lived a full life?" She asks quietly.

"What's a full life to you, Sky?" I wonder and she thinks for a second.

"If you're happy wouldn't that make your life full?" Skylar asks and I nod.

"I'd think so. I don't know what would make a mother happier than having her daughter be successful and happy. Your mom is dying happy knowing that you're happy." I say and Skylar smiles.

"I never actually thought of it that way." She admits and I kiss her cheek.

"That's what I'm here for." I remind her and knock my head into hers. "I love you."

"I love you too, Nikki." Skylar whispers as her mom's nurse walks up to us.

My girlfriend drips my hand I know that she's automatically thinking the worst. I watch her take a really shaky breath and straighten her shoulders. I kiss her hand trying to calm her down a bit but I know that in my heart it isn't working.

The nurse comes up to us and looks at me.

"Ms. Maietta wants to see you." She says with her thick Louisiana accent, the nurse says Maietta May-Etta.

"Me?" I ask and the nurse nods.

"She asked for her daughter's boyfriend." She explains and I look at Skylar who nods.

"Okay." I agree and stand up. "I'll be right back, I promise."

"I know." Skylar says and forces a smile.

A follow the nurse back to Monique's hospital room and I go inside. Skylar's mom is laid up in the bed and everything about her looks different. She looks smaller and weaker, like if I were to touch her she'd shatter to a million pieces. Monique looks at me and forces a smile, she's strong like her daughter.

"Hey Nikki." She says weakly and I smile.

"Hey Monique, how are you feeling?" I ask.

"Like my body is trying to kill me." Monique says and I sigh. "You have to do me a favour."