Chapter 5

Clary's pov-

Its finally Friday after school! Jace and Jon have the homecoming game tonight and tomorrow night we have the homecoming dance. I'm so excited.

Izzy's taking me home but the boys are staying after to get ready for the game. "You're going to do great! You'll kick ass for sure!" I say to Jace with both of us leaning against the lockers. "Thanks babe. I know I will as long as I have my good luck charm right in the front row cheering me on. You'll be there right?" I giggled at his sudden concern. "Of course. I wouldn't want to be anywhere else."

Just then Jon came around the corner. "Hey Sis. Jace we have to go. Team meeting." He said. "Ok. Bye Beautiful. I'll see you later." I nodded and gave him a kiss then left to go meet Izzy by the car.

"Hey! Ready to go?" She said when I got to her car. "Ya lets go!" I say. We drove to her house and went straight to her room. All of the teachers knew about the game tonight and the dance tomorrow so we didn't have any homework.

"Ok. I'm going to do your hair!" She said. I just rolled my eyes but still sat down at her vanity because it was useless to argue with her. She curled it then pulled it back into a ponytail with a few pieces framing my face. She left her own hair straight.

We got dressed in our school spirit gear. I wore Jace's jacket. "Ok let's go we need to get there early to get good seats." She said. I agreed so we left.

When we got there, the stands had quite a few people but we were still able to sit in the front. The team was out on the field but I didn't see Jace. Jon caught my eye and came running up. "Clary! Thank god you're here. I don't know what's wrong with him but something's up with Jace. He's in the locker room, can you go talk to him?" He said. Immediately concern washed over me. I nodded and quickly made my way to the locker room.

When I got to the locker room, the coach was talking to Jace. "Jace come on! You need to get out there!!! What's wrong with you?!" Coach Johnson said. I went up to him. "Coach I think I can handle this." I had him for gym class. He nodded and backed off. "I hope so Fray but if he's not out there soon I have to play the other quarterback." I nodded in understanding and he left.

"Jace, what's wrong?" He just shrugged in response. "Come on baby. Talk to me!" I said. "Clary, there are college scouts watching tonight. I don't think I can play well with all that pressure." Wow this is the only time I've ever seen Jace vulnerable. "You'll do great ok? Go out there and play how you normally would!" I said trying to convince him. "What if I can't?" He replied with. "Jace here's what I want you to do. You are going to go out there and play. Don't play for the scouts. Don't play for the fans or the crowd. Play for you because you love the sport. Play for me because you love me. You said it yourself...I'm your good luck charm!" He met my eyes for the first time and smiled. "You're right! Ok. Let's do this." "There's the Jace I know and love! Now go kick some ass!" I yelled. He laughed and hugged me and kissed me. I kissed back.

He pulled away. I felt my hair come down Ono my shoulders and back and he said "I like it better like this. I love you Clary." "I love you too! Now go! Go!" He laughed and ran of onto the field to start warming up. I went back to Izzy in the stands and she just smirked. "What?" I asked confused as to why she was smirking. She replied with "Jon told me no one could get him to come out or talk to anyone for that matter. He really loves you Clary." I blushed at this and focused back on the field. "I love him too." I whispered quite enough for only me to here.

-----------------time break-----------------

With 20 seconds left in the game the Angels(our team) were down by 2 against our rival school the demons. Jace had the team in a huddle as the clock counted down. 15 seconds. They lined up and Jace looked up at me. I nodded and tried to tell him with my eyes you got this! I believe in you! He nodded as if he understood what I had wanted to say.

The play started. They faked the hand off and Jace looked for an open receiver. 6 seconds! Jon was running down field. Jace threw to him and Jon caught it but was tackled right by the line of the end zone. The time ran out and the crowd went silent waiting for the refs call of wether he crossed the line or not.

The crowd went wild as the ref called it in. The Angels won by 4 points. The team celebrated on the field as people started off the bleachers. The band played our school victory song and everyone sang along. Izzy went to talk to Simon and I went to see Jace.

I saw him on the field talking to two of the people that came up to us at lunch on Monday. I ran up and jumped on his back. I kissed his cheeked and said "You were amazing." He laughed. "Thanks babe. Oh, I don't think you were ever formally introduced. Clary this is Brian" he motioned to the tall brown haired one then continued "and this is Shawn!" He motioned to the barely shorter black haired one. "Hey" "Hi" they said simultaneously. "Hey nice to meet you."

I jumped off Jace's back because he was called by his coach who was with some scouts. Jace said "Stay right here, I'll be right back." He went to talk to the college scouts and his coach. I did as instructed and just talked with Brian and Shawn while staying where I was. "So your still wearing the jacket?" Shawn said. "Yeah but it's nothing special. I'm sure he's given it to every girl he's ever dated." I say looking at the ground. "Actually the reason everybody is making such a big deal about it is that usually players give them to their girlfriends but Jace has never given it to a single one of his girlfriends before. You must be special Fray!" Brian responded. I was shocked. "Well it was nice chatting with you but we have our own girlfriends to attend to so bye Clary."

I waved goodbye and looked around for Jace. I felt a pair of strong arms encircle my waist. I felt the familiar unique heartbeat and I leaned back against him. "Hey." Jace said softly. "Hi." I replied with the same tone.

He released me and we started walking to his car hand-in-hand. "So Brian and Shawn told me something interesting." I say with a smile. "Oh ya and what would that be?" He asked returning the smile. "They told me I'm the only person you've ever given the jacket too." I say subconsciously pulling the jacket tighter. "Your special. You actually deserved it. The rest of them were just a distraction from you." This made my heart flutter.

We had reached the car. He went to open my door but I stopped him. I kissed him. Passionately but not rushed, just lovingly. "Thanks for waiting for me." "You are worth waiting for."

He drove me home after the game and that night I definitely went to sleep with a smile on my face.

Bye Angels,
😘😘