Step Siblings

Irene's P.O.V

Soohyun oppa picked me up and we both went to our house.

Our maids welcomed us in. We saw dad at the living room, talking to someone on the phone.

We approached him and he hung up the phone.

"Good thing you two came home early. We'll have dinner here with two guests. So, fix yourselves for about an hour. Understand?" He said, leaving us confused.

"What's going on, dad? Who are the guests you're talking about?" Soohyun oppa asked.

"You'll see, my boy. And Joohyun, dear I told the maids to prepare your dress I bought for you the other day. You should try it on, I know it'll look great on you." He grinned.

"Really? Dad, you don't have to buy clothes for me. I have my allowance, you know." I said.

"It's a gift for you, Hyun-ah. You accepted my offer which is being at my former position." I thanked him and went to my bedroom.

My mouth was slightly opened when my eyes laid on the bed. What a beautiful dress. Can't believe dad's good at choosing dresses.

I took a quick shower and finally wore it. I looked at the mirror and smiled. If only mom was here, she's gonna love this.

I dried my hair and curled its ends then I applied light makeup on my face. I wore accessories that were from mom.

After that I wore my heels and went downstairs

After that I wore my heels and went downstairs. I saw my brother waiting for me and he escorted me to dining room. He pulled a chair for me and I sat on it. He sat beside me and stared at the plate with a blank expression.

"Oppa, are you alright?" I asked.

"I knew this day would come." He said, still staring at the plate.

"I don't get it." My eyebrows furrowed. Then we heard a car arrived outside. I saw dad going to the door.

He opened it, a few seconds later, two women revealed. The woman who looks like the same age as my dad and the other one who looks like the same age as me.

When they went to the dining room, me and my brother stood up then bowed to them.

"My children, this is Kang Jihyo and her daughter Kang Seulgi." He introduced them to us.

"Ladies, these are my son and daughter. Soohyun and Joohyun." He then introduced us to them. They smiled and bowed to us.

"Let's all have dinner now. You may sit you two." Dad pulled out two seats for them to sit on. Seulgi sat in front of me while Jihyo sat in front of Soohyun oppa. Dad sat on the edge of the table, with Soohyun on his left and Jihyo on his right.

The maids were preparing dinner and the two talked. Oppa, Seulgi and I were looking at each other. I find Seulgi shy because her head was facing down.

Once they're done preparing, we started eating. And again, Seulgi's face can't be seen 'cause she felt uncomfortable with us. Soohyun oppa was just quiet, eating his food. I sighed a little and just ate.

"Listen now." All eyes were on dad.

"I know you three will have questions in mind but Jihyo and I will be engaged soon." I suddenly choked on my food and Soohyun patted my back. He poured water on a glass and gave it to me. I drank it but was breathing heavily. What the heck?!

I looked at them with wide eyes and saw Soohyun face palmed. Seulgi lifted her face up but she looked uneasy.

"Engaged? Dad, seriously? Since when did you two plan that?" I asked.

"A few months after your mom died. Hyun-ah, I want to be happy again. I want someone to grow old with me. To take good care of me while you and Soohyun will have your own spouses." He explained with sincerity. I still can't believe it.

"I'm not ready for that, excuse me." I stood up and left the dining room. I went to our balcony, needing some fresh air and to clear my mind.

Will mom be disappointed with dad's decision of loving another woman? Who has a daughter? What if that woman is cheating on her husband for dad? I just can't accept it.

I sighed and embraced myself 'cause of the cool breeze that went on my skin.

"I'm really sorry to interrupt but I need to talk to you." I heard an unfamiliar feminine voice coming from the door. I turned to see the girl and it was Seulgi.

"What are you doing here?" I scoffed. I don't want to have a stepsister. Me and my brother will be just fine.

"We need to talk." She said and went near me.

"About what?"

"My parents."

"Fine, go ahead."

"My parents weren't the happy couple before 'cause of dad's vices. Like drinking and smoking. Mom did her best to be responsible for the family but she can't take of him anymore. Whenever dad's drunk, he always argue with mom and even hurt her physically. The next thing we knew was that dad cheated on mom and filed a divorce because he loves the side chick more than her." I looked at her with disappointment. I never knew they have a sad background. She then continued.

"When your dad came into our lives, it became a lot easier to mom. She worked so hard, she even has 3 jobs. She divided her time in one day just for those jobs. Which I really understand it 'cause we need money for the bills. I even work part time to help and she wouldn't mind. I'm a waitress at a coffee shop that is near to my school." No words came out of me. I felt pity on them and I don't know what to say.

"Joohyun, I hope you and Soohyun will accept us. I want my mom to be happy with a man who'll take good care of her. Don't you want your dad to be happy with someone else?" I looked at her in the eyes, tearing up.

"You think it's easy to forget about mom? Well, to him it is, but to us heck no!" I shouted with tears streaming down my face.

"You don't have to. Your dad will never forget the moments he had with your mom. He told us that he still loves her and my mom understands that." She held my hand but I quickly released from the grip.

"Don't touch me! You know nothing about me!"

"I know you so well from your dad, Joohyun. He told me how successful you are with your job right now as the head of his company. He's lucky to have you besides Soohyun because you got your mom's personality that he loves." My eyes widened at her. She knows me already?

"Joohyun, open your heart to me and mom. Take your anger out of you. Forgive and accept us." She knelt down, crying. This got even harder for me. Irene, she's right, take it off. Anger has done no good. It's better to accept them wholly.

"Stand up, please." I said and pulled her up gently. She lifted her face up with tear stains. I wiped it with my thumb and gave her a small grin.

"I accept you and... stepmom." I hugged her and she did the same.