✔️Chapter 06 - I

Phil's POV

Hand-in-hand we walked all the way round to the back of the building, surrounded by a comforting silence. Dan didn't seem to be one for wasting his words, not that I minded, the more I speak at the moment the more chance I have of messing up my words or something stupid like that.

Finally, we reached a sleek black Ferrari, to which he opened the driver's door and got in. I followed suit in the passengers side.

"Nice car," I complimented, pretty gobsmacked. I don't really ever go in nice vehicles that don't have empty coke bottles or discarded McDonald's rubbish on the floor.

He only shrugged nonchalantly as he started the engine, it made a nice purring sound, and we were off.

"Can I turn the radio on?" I asked, starting to find the silence awkward.

"No," he answered flatly.

"Okay," I said dragging out the word for a few seconds.

"I have a refined music taste."

"Alright, what do you like?" I asked, glad we were getting a conversation started and praying to carry it on, at least until we arrived at the restaurant so we weren't just sitting in silence without the car radio.

"You have probably never heard of my favourite artists," he said with a tone that shut down the conversation immediately, well, there goes my hopes.

Sighing quietly, I turned to look out the window, a black range rover was driving next to us and it looked familiar.

"Hey, is that car following us?" I asked him, hoping he would know something.

"Yes, they are my security guards, Phil. There is another car to your right, as well as one behind us." His voice was monotone the whole way through, a bit like a robot but less fun.

"Did you brutally murder a family or something?" I asked, trying to keep the conversation light.

"No, yet I still seem to attract a crowd wherever I go."

I laughed lightly, even though I wasn't sure if it was meant to be funny.

Finally, we arrived. It was an upscale sushi restaurant, which seemed particularly busy tonight. After spending a few minutes looking for a parking space, we eventually found one near the back of the lot. Dan quickly reversed into, before anyone else could, leaving me wondering where his guild of security guards would park.

He then cut the engine and I attempted to exit the car, before stupidly realising my door was on child lock. I watched as he took large confident strides to my side of the car to open my door. His head was up, his shoulders tense and his back straight, as if someone was constantly waiting for him to mess up. He opened the door for me, letting me step out onto the pavement behind him.

"Thank you," I muttered in an attempt to be polite.

He only nodded in response, before placing his hand on the small of my back and leading me into the restaurant. However, he promptly let go as soon as we were inside. I don't know whether I minded that or not.

We walked towards the hostess' desk, him taking confident strides, and me shuffling along behind him. I was sure that it was apparent to everyone in the restaurant how out of my league he was.

"Table for two," he said, to the hostess, voice not particularly warm.

"I'm sorry, sir, there are no free tables at the moment." She looked up and did a double take at Dan before remembering to continue. "We'll have a booth ready in around 20 minutes." This time, her voice was shyer and full of adoration. Clearly she was into Dan, or his looks at least.