Chapter 42

PLS PUT YOUR PLAYLIST HERE

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." -Albert Einstein.

I needed to go for a walk half way through science class. My head was throbbing from all the information pilled on us.

I leaned against a locker closing my eyes.  I pursed my lips together trying to keep myself from crying.

I wanted to.

I don't know how I can manage all of this. School--work--homework. How can anyone retain anything with so much things going on in their head?

I'm breaking.

I lifted my head from the locker and took a step back.

I had to find Derek.

I pulled my cellphone out from my pocket and began to frantically text him

From Kahlia:

I need you. Where are you?

It didn't take him long to text back. He must have had his phone glued to him.

From Derek:

Locker room. What's goin' on?

From Kahlia:

Stay put.

When I walked into the locker room Derek was dressed and was drying his hair with a towel.

I cleared my throat to grab his attention.

He saw me and smiled. He swung the towel he was using to dry is hair over his shoulder. "What was with the text? Whats goin' on?"

"Everything." I walked towards him and put my hand on his chest, guiding him to sit down on the bench. "Tell me your having an equally horrible day. Tell me your not understanding anything your teachers are saying. Tell me that deep deep down I actually understand science and potentially could have a career in it."

"Tough lesson?"

"I read the chapter twice and it makes sense when I read it. Then I see questions and it's like the words are gibberish. It's like I'm trying to solve math word problems and--I've never been good at that." I sat down on his lap and guided his arms around my waist. "Tell me you can convince Mr. Lou to pass me."

"I doubt that would go well. Lemme help you or ask Jess."

"She only took science up to grade 10. It's been years now." I can't expect Jessica to remember what she learned 3 or so years ago. She can't remember what color she painted her nails the day before.

"What are you guys studying now?"

"Circuits. Mr Lou handed out these worksheets with circuit diagrams and you need to figure out whether it would work or not." I let out a long sigh. "I know you need a good amount of current flowing through for a circuit to work but throw in a diagram and I'm completely lost." I threw my hands up in frustration. "I don't think I'm meant for this school thing. Maybe--I should just take on more hours at Teasers."

"Hey," Derek removed his hands from my waist and reached up, brushing my hair from my face tucking it behind my ear. "You deserve better than Teasers, alright? Don't settle"

"It's hard enough trying to work long hours and go to school, Derek. I can't be stressing over science right now."  I'm living on pins and needles.

"Ask my dad to help. He's been helpin' Hayden with his."

"I don't know." I mumbled. "He's always so busy."

"He'll find time for you, just need to ask him." Derek stared at me intently. "So ask."

I nodded and pressed my forehead against his. I closed my eyes and planted my hands on his chest. "It would be a lot easier if you just talked to Mr. Lou yourself."

I felt his chest stir underneath my hands. "He's not a fan of football."

"Don't talk to him about football. Tell him about your love for all things science. Magnets. Cranberries. Light."

"Cranberries?" His brows went up in surprise.

"Yea." I pulled back so that I could look at him. "I read somewhere you can test to see how ripe cranberries are by bouncing them."