CHAPTER SIXTEEN: "SWALLOWED INTO DARKNESS"

Start from the beginning

She looked up and saw DeAndre had caught the man’s fist midair. He looked like a raging bull. He was mad. She could tell because his nostrils were flaring and the veins in his neck were popping. If he was a second late, she would have gotten her behind whooped, she did not even want to think about the other possibilities.

“Chill out man, we were just talking” the stranger said.

DeAndre had let go of his hand and grabbed his collar. “Talking? Is that how you talk to women these days?” he asked tightening the hold around his collar. “Then you and me got a lot of talking to do punk!”

DeAndre threw the first blow, the second blow, the third blow, the fourth blow and was going to throw the fifth one when Azania snapped out of her trance. The sound of his fists hitting the man’s flesh was deafening.

“DeAndre please stop!” she screamed. That caught his attention but that was also the moment the man used to his advantage to stab DeAndre in the side with a blunt object that was lying on the side.

All Azania saw was blood and DeAndre falling to the ground. She heard the ‘thud’ as he bumped his head. She lost it. She jumped on the stranger and rained some punches on his back and face like a wild tigress. The man threw her of and she landed hard on her back. She curled into a fetal position as the man repeatedly kicked her sides and ran. Her camera lay next to her shattered from the fall.

The last thing she saw was Anthwan tackling the guy to the ground and knocking him out before being overcome by complete darkness.

******************************

He woke up to a beeping sound. For some reason he had a terrible headache and when he reached for his head, he felt some contraption around his arm. He looked down and saw needles. He looked around and noticed that he was in the hospital.

Then it all came back to him. Azania, the fight..THE FIGHT! Oh God, was she okay?

He tried to get up but there was a terrible pain on his side. That guy really did a number on him. but he had to get up, he had to make sure that Azania was ok. Just as he was about to yank the needle from his arm, the door opened and Anthwan rushed in.

“No no no” Anthwan said rushing to his side and putting his coffee down. “Don’t take those stuff out. They are supposed to help you get better.”

“Azania” he mumbled. “Need to get to Azania.” He was still weak, he could barely stand and would have crashed on the floor if Ant had not caught him in time.

“Dre calm down” Anthwan said helping him back into the bed. “Azania is fine. I just went to check on her, she is fine” he assured him.

DeAndre closed his eyes and lay back into the pillow. The events of that day replayed in his head.

He wanted to go over certain aspects with Ant about the construction that would be taking place that week, so he called Ant and asked him to meet him there.

He had been walking to the gate when he saw some man towering over someone. That was odd, he was not expecting any company on the premises. As he got closer he heard a voice that he had not heard in a while. Three month to be exact. Not that he was counting.

“This property is not for sale and you need to leave” he heard her say. “You are trespassing.”

“Come on sweet thang” the man said grabbing her arm just as she was about to walk past him.

In her reflex Azania smacked the hell out of him. “Do not put your hands on me” she said pointing her finger in the stranger’s face.

“You ugly fat black bitch!” he said before raising his hand to hit her.

In a flash DeAndre had moved to catch the man’s hand before he could strike his woman. He was mad. Forget mad, he was furious. There is no man that will raise his hand to his woman and walk away from it scot-free. Someone was going to die today!

“I would not do that if I were you” he said in a deadly calm voice

“Chill out man, we were just talking” the stranger said trying to play things of.

The man before him was by no means a small man but he was not a small man either. Those hours in the gym were going to be put to good use. Someone is about to get their behind whooped.

DeAndre had let go of his hand and grabbed his collar. “Talking? Is that how you talk to women these days?” he asked tightening the hold around his collar. “Then you and me got a lot of talking to do punk!”

His fist connected with the man’s jaw. He threw the first blow, the echo of his fist connecting to the man’s jaw was deafening. He threw the second blow, the third blow, the forth blow and was going to throw the fifth one when he heard Azania scream.

“DeAndre please stop!”

That caught his attention, he did not want her to see this side of him. The side of him that he came to know when his dad only found solace in the bottle. He used to fight a lot when he was younger because he was so angry. Angry at his mother, angry at the world. But he had to let that side of him go and he had let it go.  Until some man wanted to lay his hands on her. On HER!

The man used the distraction to his advantage and stabbed him. He fell and bumped his head on the ground. He grabbed onto his side and with the last ounce of strength he tried to get up. He couldn’t let Azania down. He had to stand up and fight for her but darkness surrounded him and took him captive as he collapsed to the ground.

Now he found himself in the hospital without a clue as to what happened afterwards. He had dismally failed her. Him getting stabbed was not supposed to happen. He should not have been distracted. He should have kept his guard up. What if the man…oh God, if anything bad had happened to Azania, he will not be able to live with himself.

He was hyperventilating and it showed on the monitors as his heartbeat rapidly increased.

“Dre you need to calm down” Anthwan urged before the doctor rushed in and injected him with some substance as the nurses held him down.

“Azania” he mumbled. “Azania…”

Once again, he was swallowed into darkness.

================================

That’s Chapter Sixteen for ya’ll. It’s not edited, I’m sure my grammar sucks but you guys get the point right?

Please tell me that you guys were not expecting that one and it was not predictable?

My mom is cussing me out because I’m always on Wattpad reading or on the laptop writing cos “I am damaging my eyes.” The things that I have to put up with for ya’ll. And my mom is gangsta! She don’t play! So now I am hiding in a corner and typing this chapter (/ . \)

You guys are so loyal. There are certain people that vote for every single chapter and I just wanna let you know that I see you. This update is dedicated to all of you. Let’s keep rocking!

If anyone knows of any good plus size books dedicated to beautiful black women, please put me onto that newwwww!

Vote, Comment, Share, Follow. I got nothing but love for ya’ll!