Chapter 36 - Gaps

∞ᴪ∞

Chapter 36 – Gaps

A muffled gasp left my lips at the sight of the girl in front of me. She wore a long golden beige flowing gown with simple but elegant silvery-gray band a little bit above the waist. Her long ivory arms and neck were made radiant by the incandescent light, highlighting her storm-gray eyes and dark wavy hair.

She looked taller with those strappy three-inch heels and if she only stayed still and not waddle, she looked graceful enough and… beautiful. I smiled and saw the girl in the mirror in front of me do the same.

It was me.

Just this morning, I was the ugly duckling.

“What’s wrong with what I’m wearing?” I voiced incredulously at Louella who crossed her delicate arms in front of her chest. I looked down at myself. I wore a long-sleeved pullover, plain old jeans and a pair of sneakers. Same old same old.

She just eyed at me from head to toe then gave an apologetic smile. “It’s not wrong… It’s just—“

“Inappropriate?” Becky interjected standing beside Louella.

“That’s the word,” said she nodding and stroked her dark wavy locks before ransacking my luggage. “Do you have any other clothes? They all look… the same.” She looked as though she felt sorry for me and my wardrobe.

I shook my head at her catching a reassuring smile from Becky. Just then Leon came into the room with his nerdy disguise on. Somehow, it made me feel better just by looking at him. With him pretending to be a nerd, the integers between our appearances decreased a bit. But still, he’s a positive nine while I’m a negative one on the scale. That was still a big gap.

“I’m going now,” said he pulling my arm to kiss my forehead. “Are you okay?”

“Hmm…” I nodded, avoiding his crystal blue eyes which seemed apprehensive at some point. “Take care.” Squeezing his hand, I managed a smile hoping to convince him that I was doing fine.

“You too. And don’t forget to call Emma.” He smiled pulling away. I didn’t want to let go but I had to. “I love you.” Leon said with anticipation in his eyes which faded almost as soon as I replied with nothing more but a silent nod. He looked down, seemingly disappointed then turned away.

“Leon,” I pulled a sleeve of his blue button-up shirt. “Can we talk? I mean about…” There was that sinking feeling again as I paused to impulsively glance at Louella who deliberately averted her gaze from the two of us. “A-about— something,” I murmured through the choking sensation in my throat.

An unreadable expression painted his face as he gave me a blank nod. “Later then,” said he pulling tersely at my hand to give me a kiss on the lips.

I stood there frozen before him, heart racing like crazy and feeling the world crumbling under my feet. His lips were the sweetest in the world and though it was brief, I kissed him back like it would be our last. My eyes started to water for some reason but I struggled to hold back the tears. I wanted to let him go but at the same time didn’t. Then I pulled away from him, mustering a smile as I swallowed the choking lump in my throat. Put up the happy face, I told myself.

“Later,” I whispered as he turned away without another word.

“Sarah?” Louella’s tiny voice interrupted my train of thought as she peeked from behind the old rose curtains that hung from the high ceiling, separating the stalls of the fitting room from the vast array of clothes and accessories of one of the posh-looking stores where she had brought us.