Blindsided

I was blinded the second I stepped from the diner. In that first flash of light, the life I had lived previously, disappeared. All I could see was flashes of light, I closed my eyes and Roman pulled me into him. I took my sunglasses off so I could bury my face into his button-up. 

"What's happening?" I yelled, hopping he'd hear my muffled voice over the paparazzi's screams at us.

"I have no idea." I could hear the fear in his voice.

"DELILAH, OVER HERE!" There were at least 35 paps out here, something was happening.

"ROMAN!! CAN YOU SMILE THIS WAY?!" We were stuck right where we were listening to there insane shouts until I started to hear more of what they were saying.

"IS IT TRUE?!" One begged of us. I pulled away from Roman only to be blinded by even more flashes.

"Is what true?" I asked, blinking and trying to see, even though now they were trying to get more shots of me.

"THAT YOU'RE AUDREY KANE'S DAUGHTER!" I froze as more shouts about Liam and my mom broke out. I caught a few but missed most. My eyes were stuck wide open now letting in all the blinding light.

"IS SHE RIPPING HIS FAMILY APART AGAIN?!"

"IS SHE GOING TO LEAVE AGAIN?"

"ARE YOU STILL ON THE X FACTOR JUST CAUSE YOU'RE DAD'S A JUDGE?"

I felt a hard tug on my wrist as Roman pulled me close and tried to rip free from the paps, but we couldn't get through the crowd of them, they were touching us and screaming at us and the lights were flashing too bright. By now we were attracting a huge crowed of people. They were all standing off to the side just watching the chaos, some fans joined it and we were just stuck in the middle trying to breath. 

Roman pushed and pulled and tried to get us free but nothing was working. Finally we gave up and Roman pulled me back into his chest and rested his head down on mine. We just stood there and tried not to get trampled, both of our hearts racing. I felt tears prick my eyes. How could this have happened? Who would've told? Finally I heard the beeping of police cars and all the people began to disperse but me and Roman stayed right where we were, shaking like puppies. I inhaled the smell of his cologne on his shirt. It reminded me of all the time we'd spent together and instantely made me feel a slight warmth within my cold, shaking body.

"Come on you two, it's safe now. Get in the police car, we'll take you where ever you need to go." We pulled apart only enough to be able to walk, but I still had a death grip on him. When we got in the flashing car, it was as if half of Los Angeles was standing there, watching and taking pictures like we were some animal exhibit at the zoo. The cop in uniform opened the back door of his cruiser for us. Roman slid in first and I slid in after. Roman finally pulled out his phone and dialed his dad's number.

"Dad?" Roman looked to me as his dad said something. "I don't know what to do!"

Just like that, Roman broke down. I had never seen him cry before but there he was before me, crying on the phone to his dad becuase he was just as scared as I was. I placed my hand ontop of his on the seat and instantely he pulled me back into his chest for a third time that night. I listened to his heartbeat as he explained everything to his dad and then hung up. 

"Can you head towards Beverly Hills?" He told the cop.

"Of course." He answered. Roman kept one arm around  my neck and the other on my side on top of my own hand, he rubbed circles onto the side of it with his thumb. "Look, I'm really sorry that two kids like you have to go through this." The cop told us. I was grateful for his ability to understand us and not ask questions.