The X Factor

>Delilah's POV<

My eyes were plastered to the T.V. screen. With each second, it felt like another little piece of my heart was breaking off. I just stood in the center of my room and stared at the bright colors. I stared at the man who was my father. One of his big smiles was on his face. Not the fake Liam smiles, the ones that make the corners of his eyes twitch and crinkle into three lines, the one that fills up his entire face, the same exact one I had inherited from him. My eyes were watering up. I really, really hate crying. 

As the music for the commercial started to fade out, I expected the constricting feeling in my chest to just disappear, but it didn't. I hated that feeling. I clicked the power off button on the remote, hoping it might help evaporate tears that I could feel on my waterline. It didn't. They fell onto my check anyways. I felt the water, that also held my Maybelline eyeliner, slide down my face. A couple more tears, fell to the floor. Before I had time to catch a breath, I was on the floor. My hand was clutching my stomach and it felt like I was laying in a puddle of my tears. 

That's why I hate crying. I feel like I'm drowning and I feel pathetic. The wet, sticky feeling on my cheek sickens me. It always feels like my tears will never end. Sometimes they don't, not until my eyes hurt and I just fall fast asleep. There's no control, my heart beats faster and I can't think of anything but what had made me cry. 

It wasn't because of my dad, I had gotten over that a long time ago. I was crying because of the picture I held in my head. Me, standing on the X shaped stage that still hasn't changed, singing my heart out in front of applauding people. But that wasn't going to happen. 

Frustrated and tired of crying, I got up and wipped away my tears. I sat on my bed and sang.

Lyrics flew out of my mouth as thoughts became erased from my head. Again, I wasn't entirely sure what I was singing, but I was singing it. My heart did the usual little flutter that it always does when I sing. It feels as if I was made for this. Singing is my favorite thing in the world to me. The feeling I get when I sing is indescribeable but I imagine it's what flying feels like. I feel weightless and in my own little world. I belted out the last note of the song I was singing. I knew the note was low and only about five beats long but I made it high and sharp and I held it out for 11 beats. Yep, count it. Eleven beats. These are my favorite notes to sing. These notes feel like you're at the highest point of a roller coaster.

As I finished it off, I heard a pair of hands clapping. I opened my eyes up to my mom. She sat down next to me and put her fingers under my eyes, wipping away the remaining makeup. 

"How was work?" I asked her. My mom smiled.

"Good. When's the New York X Factor audition?" Her question took me by complete shock. 

"Uh, sat-saturday." I stuttered, anticipating her reply.

"Then I guess you better start working on a song." My hands flew up to my mouth as I felt it drop. Tears stung my eyes again but I managed to hold these ones back. I threw my arms around my mom repeating thank you's over and over again. 

--------------------------------Saturday--------------------------------

>Audrey's POV<

I heard my door creak open but kept my eyes closed. 

"It's time to get up in the morning, morning. I don't got mcdonald's breakfast for you. I can't drive two miles to get it. So you better get up and not eat it. It's time to get up lazy mom...."

Quickly, I shot up and grabbed Delilah's arm, "Don't even think about it." She laughed, causing me to laugh as well as I got out of my comfortable bed.

"You ruined it right before the best part." Delilah pouted. 

"No, I ruined it at the perfect time." I smiled. 

"Hurry up and get ready! Today's a big day!" Her smile beamed. I sighed at my amazing daughter who looks too much like her dad. 

"Okay, I'll be ready soon." She skipped off to finish getting herself ready while I made my way too my closet to choose an outfit. Today was going to be the best day of Delilah's life. It didn't matter what any of the judges said, she was meeting her dad. Fifteen years is a long time without a father. I wish I had been able to allow her to have one.

The best day of Delilah's life, meant the hardest one of mine. I'm going to see him again. No matter how many times I keep telling myself, I don't believe it. I just don't. I'm sure a part of me understands but overall, I can't grasp it.

I pulled on some skinny jeans, a white tank top and a beige and creme cardigan. Standing in front of a long mirror propped up against the wall next to my dresser, I stared at my reflexion. 

It had been a blazer. Skinny jeans, a blazer and huge heels that I had stolen for Erika. That's what I was wearing the day I met him. 

"Shit." I whispered to myself. "I can't do this." 

This was a bad idea. Hell, leaving was a bad idea. But going back after fifteen years was fucking crazy. 

My ears filled with the sound of Delilah singing while she got ready. Got ready for a day that would make her happy until she died. Her sweet voice rang through the apartment. 

"Ready?" She asked as she appeared in the doorway. Interesting outfit choice. I thought as I looked over her blazer, tank top, and skinnies. Her brown curls feel perfectly to her stomach and her makeup looked beautiful. The perfect combination of Liam and I.

Delilah had kept me grounded for the past fifteen years. I stopped crying like I had towards the end of my relationship with Liam once I learned I was pregnant with her. I had another little person to take care of, more responsibilities. Even though they still hurt, my problems didn't matter anymore. It was all about her.

Just like today. She was more important than my broken heart, she always will be.

-----------------Author's Note-----------------

I bet you all thought she would audition in this chapter. MWAHAHAHAHA! I was going to make this longer but in all honestly I just got lazy. Don't worry though, the next chapter will be up in the next few days! Soooo, what did you guys think? Lemme know in the comments!! :) Better than the last chapter? (Hopefully). What do you guys think is gonna happen in this book, I'm a little curious! Also, thanks so much for all the sweet comments and messages you guys have been sending, you are all soooo adorable! I did not edit this (again laziness taking over) so if there are mistakes, I'm sorry! I'll talk to you guys soon, byyyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeeee!

xx, Ashley