One Direction Infection

"So then Louis was like.." I let out a laugh that I had been trying to suppress, "So then he was like 'No! Jimmy protested!'" By now I was rolling on the floor holding my stomach. My mom stared at me, her eyes free from expression. Once I could get my laughing under control, a good five minutes later, I sat up and became suddenly serious, "You know...Cause he was reading the book...Don't you get it, mom? It's funny." Ahh, parents. They just don't get it.

"Delilah, I met him." If I had a penny for everytime I've heard that, I'd be richer than my dad. That's saying something, he's sold out Madison Square Garden seven times.

"Is it sad that I know what they were all wearing in that video?"

"God, you are such a fangirl.." My mom chuckled at me, her brilliant white teeth shining.

At that moment, as if planned, the new U.S. X Factor commercial came on. The familiar blue 'X' flashed on the screen, as well as an almost too familiar face. My moms face drifted to the magazine in her lap and she flipped the page. She was really bad at pretending she didn't care.

"Who's team will you join?" Liam's british voice drifted through the speakers. After that the commercial just showed the audition dates. Audtitions started next month. I sighed loudly, hoping my mom would hear it.

"I envy every person at those auditions." I didn't have to look to know that my mom was now staring at the back of my head. I heard her magazine crinkle.

"Delilah, I'm sure a lot of girls do. Half this world would do anything to meet One Direction. You're lucky and you know it." Now, I faced her, she had abandoned the magazine she had been trying to read. Immediately she understood her mistake, it was written all over her face. But she couldn't take away the sting in my eyes or the sinking feeling of my heart.

"Why am I lucky?" Pain flashed through my moms eyes, she knew where I was going. "I've never met them. I have way more reason to meet them than any other person on this planet." I said this all with a fierceness that shown through when I was angry. "It's really easy for you to say that meeting One Direction isn't important, you've slept with one of them."

"Delilah!" My mom snapped at me, an indication to shut up. Gladly, I did.

I wandered into the kitchen to put away dishes. In this tiny apartment, you can always hear what's going on. My mom sighed from where she still sat on the sofa in the living room. I heard her get up and I felt her presence at the doorway. My back was to her as I was putting away a stack of plates.

"I'm sorry, mom." I sighed, leaning my back against the counter and looking her in the eye, so she knew I meant it. My bipolar had gotten the best of me again. "Seeing things like that must be the hardest thing in the world for you." I reallly did understand my moms struggles. Sometimes my own personal struggle with bipolar gets the best of me.

A small smile lit up my mothers face. At least my mom understood. She knew I couldn't help my insanely violent mood swings.

"I think the worst part is knowing you could win that competition in a heartbeat." She snapped her fingers for emphasize, "but you won't get a shot." I smiled at her compliment, knowing it was probably true. 

It was everything I wanted. Since I was four I had dreamed of singing profesionally. The X Factor, just like with my father, was the only chance I'd ever have. But my father was also the reason I couldn't. He didn't know I existed.

The X Factor was practically 'the One Direction Show'. The boys run it and called most of the shots. Most seasons they switch out where they are involved. Some seasons it will be America, some Britian, sometimes even Australia or another country. But it was almost always America or Great Britian.

They also switched out who judges. It's always Simon. Yes, he's still on it, and he's always one of the judges. Last season it was Simon, Zayn, and Harry. The boys who don't judge do a lot of behind the scenes work and help out with all of the performers.

This season, the judges were Simon, Louis, and Liam. Everyone always got excited when Louis judged. He was always fucking hilarious and Simon and him have always had a little rivalry. The world loves watching that. Most people have their set 'team'. They always cheer on Harry or maybe they're Team Simon or Team Niall. It's a little thing that fans created and the X Factor went along with it. It's almost like shipping.

Fifteen years later, and One Direction still rule the world. They still drop number one single after number one single, still have millions upon millions of die hard fans, still win almost every award they're nominated for.

When I was younger, I used to think they were super heros or something. They're the most talked about celebrites ever. Over time, just like Justin Bieber, who is still going strong, the haters began to convert and soon enough, the entire world were obsessed with those five British lads who lost the X Factor.

My generation has grown up in a world where pop culture was centered around these icons. They have become legends and my mom has told me of all the stories, all the trends, all the inside jokes, everything. Except she's just a little more accurate than the internet, considering she lived it.

It doesn't matter how famous they get though. Along with alll the other true directioners, I will always love them, just for being them.

-----------------Author's Note---------------

First chapter!!! Who's excited!! Really simple, I know but more drama to come :) A couple things: First, if you have not read Not The Same yet, you will not understand this book, I suggest you go read NTS first. Second, Erika just started a new book on her page: ATLDirectioner. It's called Starting All Over Again and she would love it if you checked it out :) Next, I just want to say that as of right now, I do not have a specific day or days that I update. I usually try to make it every three days but sometimes if it's a long chapter it takes four or five. Regardless, I will try to update as ofen as possible. 

Thank you so much for all the lovely comments and votes on Not The Same, I hope you will all enjoy this story as much as the last. LOVE YOU!

xx, Ashley.