Chapter 30

~Marcel's POV~

It was about five minutes past the late bell and Katrina still wasn't here. I was starting to worry a bit since she is never late or absent. Maybe she overslept or maybe she got food poisoning and is out for the day. Oh I need to stop worrying, she'll be here. This was the biggest thing I hated about myself, I worried about things too much and assume the worst has happend. I just had to clear my mind and just focus on chapter ten of "The Hobbit".

'Bilbo, invisible on the raft of barrels, sees the Lonely Mountain. He did not like the way the mountain seemed to frown at him and threaten him as it drew ever nearer. In the night the raft comes to Lake-town, which is built literally upon the Long Lake and connected to the shore by a bridge. The elves go to the feast, Bilbo gets all the dwarves out, most rather the worst of the wear. Thorin, Filip, Kili, and-'

My reading was interrupted when I heard the classroom door open. I looked up and saw Katrina by the doorway. Her eyes were all red and her cheeks were covered in tears. It was obvious that she has been crying before. "Sorry I'm late" she muttered to Mr. Garrett. "It's alright Miss Montez, just don't do it again" Mr. Garrett replied. That was classic Mr. Garrett, he wasn't a yeller. Katrina dragged herself to her seat in front of me. She didn't even bother to say hi, or even look at me. Why was she crying? Maybe it had something to do with the incident that happend at Mackenzie's party on Friday. It must be. This morning I was walking behind Mackenzie and her popular clique. I heard her talking about the party and one of her friends mentioned Katrina's incident. Mackenzie started giggling and I heard a few words from them like "geek" or "spaz". I had to clench my fists a little to keep myself from going up to her and yelling right in her face. No one talks about my girlfriend like that, she is beautiful and not fake and stuck up like Mackenzie. I quickened my pace and slipped in front of them, I couldn't hear anymore insults from them or I was gonna explode.

Now, Katrina was flipping to chapter five of "The Hobbit". I tried to focus on my reading, but Katrina looked so upset, I had to talk to her. I tapped her shoulder and she turned around slowly. Her cheeks were no longer wet, but her eyes were glossy and red. "Are you okay?" I whispered. Of course she wasn't okay, she was crying. She sniffled before telling me she was okay. "Babe, you're crying, something's wrong" I reply quietly. "I'll tell you after class" she whispers and turns back around. I sigh and get back to my reading.