Chapter 2

I tried to stay awake during Mr. Barrett's extremely boring lesson on Shakespeare or whatever. So far, Marcel raised his hand 5 times to answer a question. He seemed like one of those show-offy smart kids. And whenever he answered a question correct, a few jocks would mumble "nerd" and "geek". I was copying the notes on Hamlet when a crumpled piece of paper landed on my desk. I turned and realized it was from my friend, Sarah. I picked up the paper and uncrumbled it. It only said one sentence.

"Isn't that Marcel kid like, a total geek?"

I looked at her and rolled my eyes. I took my pen and quickly scribbled "He's alright". I crumbled the paper and threw it towards Sarah's desk. "Ms. Montez" I heard Mr. Garrett say my name sternly. I froze a little in my seat. "Did you just hand Ms. Ramos a note?" he asked me, already knowing the answer. I nodded. "Well I guess you wouldn't mind if we read the note to the class" he insisted. I slowly grabbed the note and gave it to Mr. Garrett. He started reading what Sarah wrote. 'Isn't that Marcel kid like, a total geek?' he read clearly. Everyone in the class except me, Sarah, and Marcel started laughing. Marcel covered his face and sunk down his seat. "That's enough class" Mr. Garrett warned. He continued on my writing. 'He's alright' he read. In a matter of seconds the whole class stared and me making "ooooooh" sounds. "Katrina likes Marcel" I heard one jock say. "Did you guys plan prom yet" teased another jock. My face turned really red and I covered my face. I didn't even wanna know what Marcel felt like now.

Finally, the bell rang and it was time for lunch. Everyone ran out, pushing and shoving their way out the door. I grabbed my bag and headed for the door. An arm grabbed me before I had one foot out the door. I turned around and it was Marcel.

"H-Hi there" he stuttered. "Hey Marcel" I said. He had his hands behind his back in a shy way and his head was facing the floor. "I was wondering...can you show me around?" he asked, looking up at me. "Of course" I answered.

We stepped into the hallway together and I pointed out the different classrooms like math class, science, and history. But, I never knew this was the start of a new friendship.