JAMES

*two days later*
Creds to annadams for the song. Check out her books of the French Girl series!
**

As I walk down the halls, the sound of a piano being played comes out of a room. I press my ear to the door and listen.

A voice rings out, singing. Clearly Lily's.

"I trusted you, I fell for you

Your eyes felt kind, your heart felt true

How did you dare, oh how could you

Take my heart and break it into two"

She stops playing. "No, no," she says to herself. "The notes aren't right."

I slowly open the door, revealing Lily with some sheets of music, and a pencil to modify it. As she notices me coming in, she scoops up her music and swiftly walks past me.

"Lily -" I say, but am cut off.

"James, I told you, shut up. If Marlene makes you happy, go ahead. I should've known this would happen with your reputation of the past six years. Anyway, how could I make anyone happy? I'm just a mudblood."

"Don't call yourself a -" I say.

"A what? Mudblood?" She shoots back at me. "That's all I am. I'm constantly reminded of it. 'Lily Evans the Mudblood'. I can't change that, James. Not even if I wanted to."

***

I can't concentrate.

We're in Potions and I can not concentrate.

I haven't seen Lily at any meals for the past two days. I'm worried.

But she wouldn't care if I was worried.

Not anymore, anyway.

She seems more tired, and her complexion seems paler than ever. Even paler than when she first found out her dad was dead.

She seems less lively.

Almost like a corpse.

I haven't heard from her for days, none of is have. Even Wednesdays, when we are patrolling,  all she does is ignore me. She hasn't gone out to the lake, and she hasn't spoken to any of us.

Not even Marlene can get through to her. The only person I see her conversing to is this red head first year she befriended. Named Scarlett, I think. Like her hair. Hers and Lily's. We've tried getting to Lily through her, but no such luck.

Scarlett understands, but it's Lily who is so damn stubborn that she won't even listen to a word we say.

Not one word.