As I reached the bottom of the stairs, I heard a click of a camera.

Mom came rushing towards me, giving me a hug. "You look beautiful, Kirsten. Now, come on. Take some pictures with your friends."

I didn't have a chance to reply as my mother grabbed me and dragged me towards my friends. Their parents were here as well.

My eyes fell on the David first. He was wearing a black shirt with a tie that was the same colour as my dress along with black trousers. His hair was tousled messily, but it didn't look bad. No. In fact, he looked good. Very good.

His eyes met mine as I reached him. "You look gorgeous," he whispered into my ear, putting an arm around my waist as we posed for the camera.

We took lots of photographs. Some of the girls, some of the guys, pictures of each couple.

Twenty minutes later, Mom had finally let us all go, and we were on our way to the dance in individual cars.

"You know what I think?" David said as he drove the black BMW. "I think Tia looks amazing today."

"Yeah, she does," I replied, remembering the long blue strapless dress Tia had on. "Except Michael might kill you if you say that in front of him."

"And I have no intentions of getting murdered," David said, cheerfully. "And you know what else Ai think?"

"Is your brain on overdrive today?" I asked him, faking sweetness.

David rolled his eyes before speaking. "Probably. Mainly because you look so much better than she does. For once."

I stared at him, not sure how to reply. "Am I supposed to be flattered or insulted?" I asked, after contemplation.

David shrugged. "Heartfelt gratitude would be nice, I guess."

"For insulting me?"

"I said you looked gorgeous," he pointed out.

"You also said that this is the first time I've looked better than - " I stopped when I realized how that sounded.

David laughed.

"Shut up." I grumbled. "You bring out the worst in me."

"So it is a part of you?" He retorted, smoothly.

"God! No."

"God! Chill," David imitated me, much to my annoyance.

"Whatever," I muttered, before turning to look out the window.

"So this is how it's going to be?" David asked, after a few moments of silence.

"It's better this way with your mouth shut," I said.

"You can't control my mouth."

"And you can't control mine."

"I have a couple tricks up my sleeves," he boasted.

"I don't care."

"Now, Kirsten. You're acting like a whiny child."

"Maybe I feel like one," I muttered.

"I would love to see that," David grinned.

"Too bad you're not going to get the chance."

We had reached the restaurant for dinner.

~*~

"Please tell me you haven't been doing that all night." Michael groaned, interrupting another banter of me and David.