Episode 22

Episode 22: DIRTY LITTLE SECRET

           Principal Simpson was the epitome of class and charm as he sauntered on stage in a simple yet elegant suit. The students crowded in the auditorium were captivated and shocked by the sudden and severe change; after all he had been dressing rather relaxed ever since the end of the lockdown. 

"Good morning," he greeted cheerily to a murmuring crowd, "I'm glad you all noticed my new look." He noticed quite a few nods and gestures to continue unravelling the suspense. Personally, he took their reactions as a rude remark because he honestly believed he looked darn good and felt that he deserved some sort of approval or praise for it. Nonetheless, that did not waver his high spirits.

"It is important how we look as it becomes a part of us. So much so that when one makes a sudden change..." he paused purposefully, "maybe I will let Mr. Andrew Torres take it from here."

He introduced Drew on stage and disappeared behind the curtains. Nervously though excitedly Drew greeted the murmuring audience who he was sure were questioning what was going on.

"Uh, yeah.  I'm the guy who helped you guys get back wi-fi and the guy who planned the Valentine's Day party." He thought this bit of information would make him seem well-liked and he was a sucker for attention. Indeed, he was well-received with applause and he greedily basked in its brilliance.

"However, the reason why I called out the entire school here this morning, isn't because of another amazing event. Considering a little something for Easter by the way." He was caught up in the moment and felt the need to embrace the warmth of popularity. He might have continued in a detailed description of the promised event had he not noticed Mr. Simpson begging him to stay on track.

"Well, as you all know," he nodded his head in the direction of a well-hidden Bianca behind an amateur video camera who returned the sentiment, "There's this totally smoking chick who's been dominating the ranks of best looking for a while. She's always into the latest fashion, makeup, shoes, anything totally girly, you name it." He paused to encourage an answer but he quickly realised by the faces of many it was rhetorically known who he was talking about.

"Well, without further ado, I welcome you all to the fabulous, beautiful and very much sought after Gracie Elaine." He started clapping to which the audience took his lead. 

Confused at first, Gracie took the cheering as refuge and gallantly made her way to the stage. She smiled earnestly; her love of attention was greater than her brother's.

"Hm. It's about time you play nice to me, big bro," she whispered, waving to certain members of the audience.

"Only the best for you," smiled Drew. He realised that she believed that this event was to promote her not to destroy her.

He returned his stance to the listeners who were immediately taken to Gracie's presence. "OK, so we all pretty much know Gracie, am I right?" He noticed that everyone made some physical suggestion that this was correct; some of the younger girls giggled, the older ones scoffed jealously and quite a number of boys smiled devilishly and others longingly.  "We've seen her from that luscious red dress at the Valentine's party to elaborate coiffures and designer clothes. She's made many changes over the short time we've come to know her but there has been no greater change than what I'm about to unveil."

Gracie looked at him suspiciously, "My birthday ball isn't until another month, there's no need to announce it yet." Her anger relaxed into a gracious smile, "Well, if you are, let them help me pick out which dress to wear then."

Drew almost threw up at the outlandish traits of his sister; she had become a soulless replica of those crowned by the dark side of popularity. If he hadn't done so before, he was sure he was ready to give her a reality check that would also dethrone her.