Episode 4

Episode 4: SURVIVAL

             It was definitely the new start of another school year as many children were greeting friends and saying long goodbyes to their folks who had dropped them off. It was early in the morning and many had not arrive as yet. 

"We made it before the bus," acknowledged Clare's mother as she parked outside of the school. They had just rounded the bend and now entering the premises.

"Do I have to do this?" asked Clare desperately as she watched the small group of students dotted in the area. She was not very willing to be seen at any cost.

"Honey," her mother touched her face gently and swept behind a stray lock of hair, "We talked about this. There's no reason for you to switch schools."

"Are we forgetting who goes to school here?" she asked devastated.

"Look. I know it's going to be difficult to see him again and on a regular basis but honestly the daycare is the best chance we have for a better routine."

"You mean your routine?" Clare asked rudely.

Her mother rolled her eyes and sighed and leant over and opened the passenger's door, "I have no time for arguing about this -" She watched as her daughter got out of the car and departed to the back seat of the car and unhinged the little boy from his car seat. Clare stood before her holding the baby. She leant over and kissed him on the cheek, "Now behave yourself today Jake*. You too," she added eyeing Clare suspiciously.

It was snowing lightly and as a result, Clare was wearing a snug jacket over her uniform. 

"It's the first day, can't you come back for us?" pleaded Clare.

Her mother sighed again, "I can't, sweetie, work ends at five, you know that."

"I can wait," she persisted stubbornly.

"Use the school bus like you always do," her mother persuaded, "And that's final. There's nothing to be ashamed of."

"I'm not so sure," she said and took up the baby bags that was on the dashboard and she slammed the door shut behind her. She quickly manoeuvred the baby and the bags under her jacket before anyone noticed him. Her backpack was the only visible thing on her. She hadn't even flinched when her mother said 'bye' and drove off. She walked somberly up the steps of the school, perusing the area just in case anyone became suspicious of her. Slowly she opened the doors, knowing full well that this was not going to be as easy as her parents let it on to be.

[theme song]

             She walked gingerly down the relatively empty hallway to a part of the school that students did not tend to socialize around much. She looked at the playful words on the door 'Daycare' and hesitated for a moment. She looked around her once more before she finally opened up the door and she quickly closed it behind her. Inside was a place she had been dreading over the break. 

"Good morning. How can I help you?" a kind-looking lady asked cheerily. There was hardly any activity in the room except for another lady handling a few toddlers. "Wait a minute, don't I know you?"

"No - I don't think so."

"Of course, you used to help here in the daycare with Holly J. I remember you. We need as many volunteers as possible. Coming back on board?"

"I doubt it," Clare revealed the baby from under her jacket and the bags. She handed him over to the lady gently, touching the sides of his face, and then she looked up, "I - uh - I need to drop him off here."

"And whose this cute bundle of joy is?" chirped the lady.

"Mine." She blurted but then realised the truth was hard to take in and she quickly stuttered over the word, making it seem as though she had actually made a mistake, "My-uh-my baby brother."