Episode 21

Episode 21: DARK RAINBOWS

            Sadie found herself peeping into the empty classroom as though she was on a secret mission. She craned her neck enough to see two guys eating lunch at the back of the class. And she smiled nervously when she spotted whom she was looking for. She took careful steps towards him, glad that they were so engrossed in their conversation that they hadn't noticed her.

"Hey," she greeted shyly.

Both guys looked up alarmed at her sudden presence.

"Sorry," she apologized, "I just wanted to know I'm still going to give you your big makeover for your date with Alli..."

Joe looked immediately thrilled by the idea but Eli gave his friend a questioning look, "Date?"

"Um, yeah," confessed Joe.

"Well, the things you don't tell me," Eli mocked.

"Yeah, like about you and Clare," Joe responded with a higher-pitched sing-song voice which obviously annoyed Eli and confused Sadie.

"You do realise you're breaking the buddy code right now, right?" goofed Eli, playing along with the antics.

"You still have a thing for Clare. But you're with Gracie, everybody knows that," Sadie felt the words left her mouth in a mumble.

The guys gave a stupefied look, looked at one another and Eli finally interjected the growing intensity surrounding her comment, "So Joe is finally going out with Alli. It's been like what, months now since falling head over heels during that one-on-one study-buddy tutoring session."

Sadie's eyes widened, "So that's how you fell for her?" She ended her question with a lingering, "Awww."     

Joe was definitely embarrassed and he showed it by covering his head while trying to bury it into the half-eaten sandwich on his desk, "Why! Why!" 

His friend merely laughed, "I didn't react like that, I merely retaliated."

"Oh yeah," Joe held up with a goofy grin on his face, "Well I could tell her more about Clare..." He was using the sing-song voice again.

"And I could tell her about Alli..." continued Eli in a similar tone.

Sadie broke their glee, "Um, yeah, we were talking about Alli actually." She studied them for a while, "Are you guys always like this?" She was more excited rather than suspicious. She loved the way they interacted which other, like true best friends just like her and Margie. 

"Not for a while, in fact, this is pretty much the first I've had of him for a while," Joe revealed but with a confident cheer. Sadie found it rather intriguing and contagious. 

"I like this side of you and now I'm going to ruin it," the guilt was evident by the way her voice trailed. 

The look on Joe's face was reminiscent of one of a deer caught in headlights. He was stunned and wide-eyed, terrified at the expecting tragedy. 

"Well, you know how I had to cancel our makeover session yesterday?" she asked slowly.

"Because you decided to hang out with Margie instead," he continued mocking her slow pace.

"Well, yeah, I just weighed my options and I decided it was better to have a blast on the town with my bestie than to -" she  paused before continuing, "give you a makeover for a date than wasn't happening."

Joe's immediate reaction was to lower his head in disappointment.

"In fact, I actually got Alli together with Dave," she finally confessed.