Episode 6

Episode 6: TURNING OVER A NEW LEAF

                Mr. Simpson was in his office, sipping a cup of coffee. Had one seen him, he looked dishevelled and out of place. His mind was going over what had happened yesterday when he came home looking forward to a fantastic meal. Instead, he had gotten the shock of his life. He did not understand why Emma was so upset, but at the same time, it made him feel so awful to see her so broken up over it. And as he was about to finish off his brew, Emma flew through his door like a bullet.

She landed, palms flat on the desk, and stared with intense eyes into his own suddenly shaken up ones, "I have the perfect idea!"

Mr. Simpson seemed to study her in a quick once-over with a confused look, "Why are you here exactly!" Seeing the despair in her eyes only saddened him more.

"I have no college degrees, no job, no husband!" She emphasized the last of the list with devastation.

"Spinner's only going to college. It's not like he's-"

His speech was interrupted as she continued desperately, "I feel betrayed. Don't you get it! We're supposed to be on the same page and all of a sudden he packs up and says he'll be gone for an entire semester, a thousand miles away!" She was breathing rather erratically and crying as she said this.

"Emma - you're being rather emotional, don't you think." Mr. Simpson said. He was becoming greatly concerned about his step-daughter and how she was reacting, "Just sit down for a minute, OK and we'll talk things over." 

"I don't want to go home to an empty house, Snake," she said as she settled into the comfy chair just before his desk. She was still crying. "I know you can help me." She looked at him now, "Maybe I should teach here. You're the principal - you can put in a good word for me." 

"I can't do that even if I wanted to," he answered sternly, "My teaching staff's full." He became suddenly nervous as Emma started crying all over again, "But, maybe you could do a - a - an after school program." The idea had just hit him.

Emma stopped crying instantly as she looked up at him with hope and then she smiled.

"Yes - an after school program," he repeated trying to reassure himself. He looked at her with sympathy, "You were always good at standing up for yourself and sticking to what you believe in! Maybe that's just what some of our kids need, especially in this day and age. You can talk to them about anything you want. How say 3-5 every Wednesday, how about starting today?" He ended by staring anxiously at her. 

She leapt out of the chair and hugged him so tightly and so unexpectedly that he seemed to be suffocating, "Thank you so much!" she said beaming with pride, "Thank you, thank you!" Then she dashed out of the room just as suddenly as she had come in and he merely replied when the door closed behind her, "You're welcome." 

[theme song]

                 "So how did you spend your Christmas," begged Darcy, smiling through the monitor. 

"Not so good, actually." admitted Clare. She was alone in the living room and was having a Skype conversation with her sister, the way it had been over the long months of her absence. 

"Yeah. First Christmas since the divorce, huh?" Darcy seemed sad by her words, "I'm really sorry for not coming home when I was suppose to - I just got - scared."

"That's OK." Clare understood a long time ago why her older sister decided not to return, even though it was hard to deal with at the time. She really needed someone there with her that understood the pain she was feeling, but that was old news. She has so much more going on now.