Episode 16

Episode 16: CHASING PAVEMENTS

                It was the beginning of lunch but somehow Eli could not bring himself to eat. He chose this opportune time to find a seat under the bleachers in the gym. He was reliving his moments with having his son on his own for the very first time and where better to do so than in the place where he was born. He smiled at the many adventures he experienced; from diaper changing to vomit cleaning to effortless ways to stop him from crying to finally getting him to take a nap albeit a very short one. Since the Christmas party, he had been pondering why life always dealt him so many blows. However, here he was smiling, grateful that life was giving him a second chance. He was a father; three years since Julia's death but he was proud to be this time. He loved Clare; all the more reason to love Jake.

"Hey, rock star," a soft voice remarked from next to him.

Startled, Eli awkwardly stumbled to a standing position. He was sure no one was going to be in here. Upon seeing who his unwanted visitor was, his face contorted into a frown.

"K.C. told me where to look for you. Seems like you've found a new best friend."

"Gracie," started Eli, "In case you haven't noticed, I have no best friend."

"Me, silly," Gracie smiled earnestly. She seemed graceful and understanding.

"No, I don't. If I had a best friend who was a girl, she most certainly would not be wearing six-inch heels." Eli commented bitterly.  He was disapproving of the way she dressed. Since the first day of the official end of the lockdown and their official break up, Gracie's look had become raunchier and raunchier. 

"I like it," she smiled confidently.

"I know," he replied matter-of-factly.

"You like it too, don't you?" she placed a hand on his shoulder, which was beginning to unravel slowly up to his cheek. She looked longingly into his eyes.

Eli pushed aside her hand and his anger flared, "Get away from me." He rushed towards the doors but her hurt voice stopped him and forced him to look at her; for the first time in a week.

Gracie was taken aback, "So you felt you were with me to do me a favour?"

"No, I was with you because I didn't want you out of my life," admitted Eli.  

"I thought we had a mutual understanding about our relationship," Gracie continued.

"You mean friends with benefits?" asked Eli venomously.

"Actually, it was more like non-benefits. All we did was talk those two days I stayed with you. Boring." Her voice changed tremendously, she wasn't being the nice girl any longer, "Look, Eli, look at me. You missed out." The devious tone matched her wicked intent.

Eli looked at her curiously, "Y-You understood that Clare was my number one."

Gracie walked up to Eli and held him lovingly, "I know all of your secrets. All." She whispered in his ears which unnerved Eli, "I want you to be my boyfriend." 

"Adam would never do this to me," he stood there frozen. He knew first hand what secrets Adam had on him. 

"Adam didn't want boyfriends y'know," she teased and laughed wickedly, "The whole school needs to know that we're together." She demanded, "Otherwise, I'll be showing Clare, Julia's ring," she remarked deviously.

This remark erupted a sickness over Eli, "You wouldn't dare?" He seethed.

"See you around boyfriend," she made sure this particular comment was loud. She walked away and blew a kiss in his direction. On her way out of the gym, she eyed Bianca who was hiding upstairs. However, Bianca did not know that had been seen.