Episode 3

Episode 3: FACING REALITY

            The weather was at its climax on the most important day that every individual holds dear in one fashion or the other. It was December 25th, a day to celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ and indeed the sweet melodies coming from outside reminded Clare of just that as she smiled sweetly, watching the chorusing group outside the window. She hadn't felt as though she would ever smile again, especially since she had told Drew her secret. 

"I could really use some of that magic right now," she said aloud, though she was really praying. It had been tough on her since the Christmas party three days ago. She hadn't planned to run away but seeing her distraught parents only made her more scared. She desperately needed a miracle; one that would hopefully give her enough courage to get back home. She honestly believed that Adam was very much a  miracle; he had provided a place for her to run to in the midst of her personal tragedy. For that she was grateful.

And just like that, Adam popped his head into the room, "You're smiling! It's nice to see that again." 

Clare turned from the window and looked at the beautiful assortment on the plate that he had brought in.

"Merry Christmas, Clare!" Adam said handing over the breakfast to her.

She smiled warmly; she knew Adam did not have to do any of this for her but she was grateful that at least for right now she had a true friend to depend on.

"OK, listen up!" Adam said excitedly. 

Clare looked up with curiosity.

"Drew and I, well mostly Drew- have decided to let you enjoy Christmas dinner with us."

"Isn't that the plan, already?" she asked confused, "I'm already here."

"Not like you think-we can't have you in here alone. So-we're inviting you over."

Clare nodded even though she was not following and Adam understanding the expression on her face continued his speech, "We ship you out the window. You show up on our doorstep and walla! Instant random visitor who happens to have dropped on by."

"How often does random visitors come by on Christmas Day at the Torres' home?" Clare asked smiling.

"We'll come up with something as we go along. But, there's no way, my mom would ever suspect you staying here, because - after dinner, you leave with your Christmas presents and then pop back in through the window. Whaddaya think?"

"Christmas presents?" Clare asked unsure. She wasn't expecting anything like this, "Or are you just pulling my leg?"

"Today's a magical day, Clare!"

"Yeah, magical!" She smiled as she looked out the window. And she truly believed that the magic of the day had certainly touched her.

[theme song]

        After breakfast, Clare was suddenly thinking of why she was there and it suddenly dawned on her that there was someone else she had to face. She climbed on to the bed and took up her cell phone and dialled in. She waited hesitantly but she knew she had to do this - she needed to know that he knew what was going on.

"Eli?" she asked softly.

"Clare!" Eli answered in shock. 

He was not expecting to hear her voice any time soon. He was in his car; he could not stand being in his room. 

"Why didn't you tell me?" he asked sternly. He looked out at the heavy downpour of the snow. He had been out in the weather since after an early breakfast, just thinking about life and its coincidences but mostly about Clare and how he couldn't get over her, despite recent events that should've proved otherwise. He waited anxiously to hear her response.