Episode 13

Episode 13: FAMILY PORTRAIT

             The stench was unbearable but Clare knew it was her duty to get the job done. She manoeuvred the baby, carefully holding him at his ankles as she wiped his bottom. It was 3:30 in the morning as she noticed on the alarm clock on her mantle. She was completely exhausted and looked it. Within a matter of minutes she had the baby in a clean and comfortable diaper; she almost felt like a pro at this. However, she was not a pro at late nights and early mornings.

She cooed the baby with playful words as she snuggled close and blew bubbles on his belly. He laughed which made her smile but nonetheless she was still tired. She yawned despite herself. She cradled the baby and sleepily whispered a song. In no time the child became weary and dropped off to sleep which she then took the opportunity to ease her tension as she rested on the bed. 

Looking up at the ceiling with her son on her belly snoring sweetly she suddenly found herself overwhelmed. She started crying and the more she was trying to find a reason why, she was crying even more. 

"I don't want her to see me like this," she whimpered, "But it can't be helped."

She looked down on the little boy and stroked his full head of hair. "Your aunt Darcy's going to be here tomorrow, bet you can't wait for that?" She grimaced with the thought that her older sister was finally returning home but home was definitely not the same as she had left it. 

[theme song]

            Eli found the icy dew on the grass more interesting than his Maths class. Sitting so close to the window he didn't draw too much attention to himself but then again he was so engrossed he wouldn't have cared much.

"Mr. Goldsworthy," called the teacher from the chalkboard. He had to repeat his name a third time before Eli looked up at him startled.

"Got a lot on your mind," teased the teacher much to Eli's condescending smile. 

The door flung opened which stole everyone's eyes from Eli. Clare rushed in to the classroom, looking as though she was running for her life. She had no make up on and her hair was pulled in an untidy bun and to make matters worse she was trying to catch her breath. 

"Good morning," she fluttered out, "Sorry to be late. I had a doctor's appointment and then I missed the bus and then-" She started rambling off but she was interrupted.

"That's alright. Ms. Oh said to look out for you for these things. No problem, we'll talk after class. Go take a seat. And next time, take your time okay." His words were sympathetic and understanding. Clare smiled gratefully, she thought that with Ms. Oh giving her special treatment would seem unfair but everyday it had been proven to come in very handy. 

"Why are you getting such special treatment?" asked a girl rudely as Clare took up her seat.

"Because she actually does her homework on time," snapped Jenna rudely. She gave a thoughtful smile towards her friend who nodded her approval and thanks.

Eli studied Clare suspiciously and caught her eye which made her flinch. She turned her sleepy eyes from him and head first into her open backpack, looking very busy as she searched for her books. She had too much to think about and Eli was the last straw. She hadn't yet faced him on his "relationship" with Gracie and she wasn't sure if she wanted to either.

!-0_0-!

              Eli strutted down the hallway, looking like the world had just fallen on top of his head. However, his emotions were the last thing considered by Bianca. "Ugh!" she exclaimed disgusted.