Episode 7

Episode 7: THE WOUNDS OF THE PAST 

                The bell had signalled the beginning of a new day at school. On the intercom, Principal Simpson was reminding the students that the cheerleading positions were to be determined today and any interested persons were more than welcome to cheer them on in the gym during the lunch hour. The gossip on who would win was a big one and Clare could feel the intensity in her bones as she took out her English books for first period. 

"I'm the most popular just like I told you," commented Jenna who was next to her with her heavy backpack on her shoulder. She had not gone off to her locker as yet, "See." She held up a neatly, obviously newly printed sheet of paper which held the ranks of the cheerleaders in descending order. Last on the list at number one was Jenna Millington - the most likely to become captain of the cheerleading squad.

"Wow." Clare said absent-mindedly, "You were right." At that moment she felt a huge shiver go through her body and she looked away from Jenna and into her locker, trying to fight her tears back.

"Are you OK?" asked Jenna suddenly worried, noticing a very strange reaction from her friend, "I can handle captaincy - don't be so judgy," she protested and then she watched Clare curiously as she looked down the opposite end of the hall.

"Oh. I get it," Jenna's eyes widened with glee, "You still have feelings for him."

Clare turned to face her with a terrified look, "It's nothing."

"I see the way he looks at you," Jenna continued smiling, hoping her two cents worth would do the  magic, "Why did you guys break up again?"

"Because -" started Clare, "Because we were too different." She closed her locker now and gave all her attention to Jenna now.

"Please! You guys are two stubborn-headed, fast-minded nerds." She had said so in a teasing voice but quickly tried to cover her tracks when she saw that Clare was not responding the way she had expected, "I was joking, sort of. What's with you lately? Every time someone mentions Eli you get so - so - weird!" She finally came up with a word to describe her.

"He hates me," Clare said softly, her sad eyes reinforcing just how much she believed what she said.

"Who could ever hate you, Clare-Bear? Eli's - Eli. How else can you describe him. He's quite a mystery, that's for sure."

"A mystery I hope I don't ever have to figure out," Clare added with a determined expression.

[theme song]

                The gym was packed with people and just as much energy as the crowd kept getting bigger and bigger. Many were cheering and waving pompoms while others yelled out the names of the cheerleader they hoped would be the winner. It was the most carefree activity since the Christmas party which unfortunately ended with a very much unwanted ambulance prank and they vowed to make the most out of this moment. 

"Quite a crowd," commented a cheerleader who looked pumped and ready in her outfit, "These people are actually missing lunch for us!"

"You mean for me," boasted Marisol.

"Alright, girls, let's see what you can do!" called Chantay excitedly who was not wearing a cheerleading uniform but a bright yellow tee and dark blue short shorts. "I am going to miss this so much." she said softly to the girl next to her who was dressed similarly.

"Six weeks of our college boyfriends is much better than this for sure," commented the girl to which Chantay agreed. She had decided to enter along with her co-captain with a very special invitation to participate in one of the country's biggest cheerleading projects in the country and the winner gets to walk away to the tune of ten grand; it just so happened that the location of the project was a few kilometres away from the college that her long-time boyfriend Danny and Lisa's new fling were attending, "But it's not all fun and games. We're going there for the grand prize, remember?"