Episode 19

Episode 19: I HATE THIS PART RIGHT HERE

              The cold, eerie glow of the afternoon was beginning to nestle inside the Edwards' residence. Darcy hummed cheerfully as she chopped up some garnishes. The kitchen was in an abundance of sweet smells as she was finishing up the salad. 

"Looking like you're really enjoying home, honey," her mother commented. She had just came home from work and she looked worn out. Darcy picked up on this and her happy humming suddenly stopped.

"Yeah," Darcy started, fighting to keep up appearances, "I'm just doing my part." She wore her grin so wide there was no mistaking that she could be anything but upbeat.

She watched her mother make herself a quick meal of a Nutri-Grain Bar and a quick glass of orange juice from the fridge. With a moment's notice, Darcy suddenly realised that her mom was heading back through the door.

"Mom," she called out more worried than curious. 

"What, dear?" asked her mother.

"Where you're going?"

"Yeah, I forgot too. Tonight's one of Clare's working days so I better hurry over to the school to pick up Jake," her mother responded with a grim expression.

"Oh, yeah, Jake," replied Darcy emptily.

"If I had remembered maybe I would have let the boys bring him home but I don't want them too involved with our family matters," whispered her mother with great sincerity.

"But they are family," Darcy made her point known in a dreamy tone.

"I know but Jake isn't their responsibility as much as he is mine," she smiled.

"I could go collect him if you want," offered Darcy expectantly. 

"I'm the one who can drive," her mother quirked, "Let the boys help you set the table by the time I come back. Your part is a lot bigger than you know, I'm glad you're back home."

"I'm not," mumbled Darcy forlornly as the door closed before her. For a moment, she envisioned the door opening and it was her father coming home from work, greeting her mother in the kitchen with a kiss on the lips inquiring how soon dinner would be ready. Clare and her were sure to be busy in front of the television or on the phone with the usual reply and nod greeting routine.  That was what home was like when she left to go to Africa. However, the huge contrast of jungle life to suburban everyday was not compared to the overwhelming changes she had to face. 

As much as she thought she was prepared for the divorce she wasn't exactly prepared for Jake. She fell in love with him over the week she's gotten to known him but that still couldn't replace the shock she faced every time she remembered who he was. 

And with Clare busy mothering or at school or at work and the boys getting acquainted with the television set, Darcy felt more alone than she thought she would have. She had thought long and hard about her decision but she believed she was doing the best thing for her. She didn't belong there; she had been gone too long and she felt too lost to fit back in, especially now. She needed to tell them sooner rather than later of her planned departure. Perhaps then she can escape once again from a world that was too difficult to handle and find her own peace elsewhere.

[theme song]

               It was rather unusual and even more unexpected for Eli Goldsworthy to be smiling. His new look had received raved reviews but now his personality was beginning to lighten up as well. Despite all that he has been through and still going through, Eli felt like he had experienced what it was like to be just a regular teenager. He missed the euphoric rush that came with an overdose of game time.