Episode 20

Episode 20: ALREADY GONE

                With a nervous twitch Ms. Oh entered the classroom. She looked every bit youthful and energetic but there was an undeniable sense of unease about her. 

"Thank you for meeting me here," she smiled apologetically as she placed down her bags and books.

"No problem." It was Connor sitting at her desk. His response made it clear he suspected that something bad was about to happen. He watched helplessly as she closed the door.

They were in an empty classroom which created an intense atmosphere. She pulled up her chair next to his and he knew that he was about to embark on an eventful one-on-one.

"I guess you might know why we need to have a private talk," her words were slow and uncertain as if she was trying to find the right words to say.

Connor felt his body tingled with guilt and remorse, "I said I was sorry."

"Sorry isn't going to help - sometimes we need to solve problems by facing them head on." These words held authority and assertiveness. This only made Connor more afraid.

"So what happens now?" he mumbled, assuming the worst.

"When you hit me," she started but then paused, her nervous demeanour was returning, "I was hit before." 

"OK," Connor felt uneasy. 

"My therapist thinks I should confront you like I did with Cliff but that would mean...retaliating," she looked away as though embarrassed. "I was in an abusive relationship and it was hard to pick up the pieces and move on with my life."

Connor nodded his head, "I'm sorry." He was as much sympathetic as he was curious, "But why are you telling me about this? What does this have to do with me?" 

"I witnessed firsthand what's it like to feel so much anger you have to get it out of you no matter what." Her eyes took on a deathly spirit. "Do you understand what I'm telling you?"

"I don't get it, no," he felt foolish that he didn't catch on to the moral of the story.

"As much as you think that all is well, Connor, it isn't and it never will be until you face up to that anger, I know. " She lowered her head and whimpered, "My ex-husband let out all of his problems on me. Perhaps if I had had this talk with him like I am with you, things wouldn't have gotten out of hand."

"It was just one time," Connor was on the defensive.

She looked up with a passionate glare, "Those were his words exactly."

"I admit. I have these moments where I swear I'm going to lash out. But that doesn't mean..."

"Normal teens don't suddenly hit their teachers. If that's not a sign of a serious problem then I don't know what is." She held his held and she continued in a soft voice, "With Asperger's, you have a desire to want things to be the same way. What happened  interrupted your world to the extreme. That anger will not go away unless you not only face Clare but reconnect with her and build a friendship with her."

Connor looked up at her in shock, "I never thought about it that way."

[theme song]

             "See you after class," Drew smiled as he watched the girl of his dreams drift into the crowded classroom. 

"I knew it," Dave greeted as the two boys walked down the hall.

"What?" Drew was unsure of where he was coming from.

"Jenny," Dave acknowledged matter-of-factly.