Chapter Twenty One- Beneath the Words

"It all makes sense now!" Emma began as she paced back and forth in front of Killian's cell. "It was him from the beginning. I remember now, he was late to the ball. I was technically being auctioned off by my parents-it must have been for him. And when I went missing, he moved quick to save me...but found you in his heroic steps instead."

"What do you mean?"

"What if he paid Blackbeard? He is a man of iron and great respect...."

"And Blackbeard is not.."

"But he has made deals for less...What if John agreed to give him something he could never have before?"

"What would that be?"

"You. When John saw you there, he then made the deal with Blackbeard, knowing of your feelings for me before I did...even before you."

"I suppose shielding my affections for you is something I do very poorly." She blushed as he placed his hand on her cheek. "If he did do this...he is very dangerous...and intending to take your hand."

"I won't allow it! I just do not understand why the epitome of true love is against this..."

Killian sighed and moved away from the bars. An action noted by Emma as she scowled.

"What is it?"

"I was once a noble man Emma. I once had a man I trusted to pay a salary I spent on more righteous things than I would now. I stole the wife of someone..."

She scowled harder.

"I don't understand."

"Milah was married Emma..." She gasped.

"You...you tore up a family?"

"No just any family...Rumpelstiltskin's..."

"Then why did he agree to help you...your heart?"

"Anything that man does is not to help anybody but himself-no matter who you are....He is the dark one..." She remained silent as he continued. "I gave him my heart in exchange for Hercules's return. He now has it to manipulate as he wants. He can make me speak through it...make me act through it...I am confused on why he has not...."

"That worries me...why would you allow that?"

"I also made him a second deal...."

She gripped the bars. "I cannot handle this suspense!"

"I asked him to protect your heart...so nobody could harm it....even me..."

"It feels no different..."

"It did not? Not even more loving?"

"I don't understand..."

"I asked him to bring your walls around your heart down....So you could see I care for you and you would not fight it-if it was from an honest love..."

"That explains why I cared for you one moment, loathed the next, and loved the following..."

"It is true...just...more forced..."

"You did not protect my heart, you manipulated it...just as Rumple does..."

"No." He gripped the bars, making her jump back. "I did it to protect you. You angry at me makes you not listen which puts you in danger..."

"Somehow I can find myself angry at you yet."

"It did not work-the second part of the deal. I was interrupted by Smee telling me you were taken. He stood outside the building where I called Rumple...I am unsure what he did with your heart which frightens me."

"It feels fine...but...the thing I do not understand Is I had control over my heart. You speak as if I shouldn't."

"Do you loathe me."

"I could never."

"Are you angry?"

"Yes."

"Then it did not work and for that I am thankful. But I fear I have hurt you too much Emma."

"What are you saying?"

"Do you think it would be worse to marry him?"

"Two moments ago you would have taken a sword through his heart...I am very confused..."

"You...should...." he gripped the bars tight. "You should be with someone who can take care of you." He said as he gritted his teeth. "Someone noble. Honest. Genetically gifted...."

"Killian...."

"Your parents are right....You should be with someone who can make you proud." Tears filled his eyes as he fought them and the words coming from his mouth. His face became red as he tried to fight the words.

"I thought you loved me."

"I do." He said quickly before finding it hard to breathe. He was able to feel his own heartbeat pound slow and loud in his ears as he refused the words being spoken to him. "But....you should not be with a pirate...you should be with someone who can protect you..go Emma. Please!"

"No."

"Please...."

Confused and with teary eyes, she moved from the dungeon and up to her room where she laid atop her bed and cuddled into a ball, crying. Killian slid down the inside of the cell, gripping his hair.

"You bloody bastard..." He spoke to himself before hearing a rather irritating voice speak in return.

"It only gets worse from here dearie..." Followed by a wicked laugh...