Chapter Three- One Step Ahead

Snow gasped as Emma made her way to the stop of the stairs before the ball. The music had begun and played in full swing as she descended from the stairs and all eyes had been on her. Those who came to suit her, bowed or showed their muscles by extending their arms, but she could not tear her mind from the pirate who took her eye. Tying to place her mind on a proper suitor, she politely nodded to them before taking her father as her first dance partner. Moving around the floor, her beautiful dress followed her as they twirled until she was spun off to the first suitor.

And it began.

The evening filled with forced smiles and polite conversation became an exhausting hell for the princess. With aching feet and tired eyes, she was spun to her last suitor, someone she had recognized. As she moved to speak, he pressed a blade to her stomach.

"I am doing this to protect you."

"I highly doubt that." She said with a glare before he motioned to a man in a black cape across the way.

"Do you know who that man is?"

She shook her head as he forcefully continued the dance.

"Blackbeard. I made the mistake on asking him for a favor and one of my men went behind my back and explained how we were just going to take it."

"Sounds right."

He pulled her close.

"He's coming to take you. But I will first."

"I don't want to go."

"If I don't...he will keep you for ransom and he has never returned anything he has taken."

"What do I do? My parents will be worried."

"Excuse yourself before the final note. I will be waiting out in the hall. Do not to run...he has men everywhere."

She nodded as he retracted the blade as she pulled away. Moving to her parents, she kissed them on the cheek before looking to them and placing her hands on their cheeks.

"I am going to retire, I do not feel well."

"Are you alright?"

"Mother, I have come to the age where you can trust me, correct?"

"Of course darling."

"Then please do that. Anything I ask of you, please do not ask why."

"What is going on?"

"Mother...please..." She nodded although her father wasn't so easy to let go.

"Are you in danger?"

"I won't be soon. I love you both." She kissed their cheek as the final notes began to play. But as she saw the two possible exits, she decided to go through the kitchen and hide somewhere until the dance would be over and all the guests would leave. She scurried through the kitchen and making it up the servants quarters before being seen by several of her servants who asked her if she had been alright. Just as she turned to answer, she heard the clinging of metal-sounding of a sword on a hip and continued telling them to hide. She ran through the quarters before coming to a long corridor. One side led to her room and the other to the gardens. In a desperate attempt to lose the vengeful pirate; either Killian or Blackbeard, she scurried through the beautiful sets of nature before hiding behind a large rose bush.

She tried to relax her breathing as she found it was loud among the quiet night air. Holding the long dress close to her stomach, she leaned her head back in the bushes before hearing the footsteps of someone who had followed her. She closed her eyes before seeing the man in the black cloak emerge. But just as his head turned, she was pulled in the opposite direction by a familiar face.

"Swan."

"Jones..."

He pressed his finger against her lips as the man made his way around the garden. Each time he turned his gaze in the opposite direction, they moved their hiding spot until making it back towards the castle and climbing the stairs to her room.

"Do you love your family."

"Of course I do!"

"Then you would do anything to protect them?"

She nodded as he came up to her and pulled the necklace from her throat and clung it in his fist.

"That's not yours!"

"We cannot exchange money because everyone will know you come from money. It's dangerous. If we have items to sell, it is not as odd. You have to trust me."

"How can I?"

"I just saved your life, if I wanted you dead then I wouldn't have."

"Fine."

"We have limited time, where are the rest of your jewels?" She pointed to a box before turning to her vanity and writing a letter. An act seen by Killian once she signed her name.

"What are you doing?"

"I have to tell them something?"

"What did you say?"

"That I fell in love without their knowledge and ran away to be with him. I love them and I'll write soon."

"Alright." Suddenly they heard dozens of boots come up the stairs. He pulled her close before removing her large skirt.

"What are you doing?!" She angrily asked as he pulled her behind the door as it opened. Suddenly the scene was shown. An open window and the princess's skirt with the letter on the desk. When all pirates arrived inside the room as it was seen through the crack in the door he could see through, he quietly pulled her through the door before shutting it and jamming it with a pin from her desk.

"I had to remove it so you could run faster. It's not like I undressed you completely." He rolled his eyes as guards motioned their way upon hearing the banging on the door.

"Where is the fastest way to the streets?"

"There is the gardens...but-"

"I see....What is behind that door?"

"My parent's room..."

"Perfect..." He said with a long sigh as he brought her towards it and found an open window looking down directly at the water.

"No."

"It's either that or you become a broiled corpse to them..."

"Broiled what?"

"You stay here, you die. I stay here, I get hung. We leave, we survive."

"It's a long way down."

"I have not led you astray thus far...you must trust me." He said as he looked deep in her eyes. She nodded as he pulled himself to the window and looked below to see the rushing waves hitting the rocks below.

"Jump far. Leap...." He paused as he got a running start. "I'll show you." He paused. "You must follow immediately. They will be quick behind." She nodded as he jumped first and she followed as he stated. They both landed in the water, crashing with a loud splash.