Chapter Nineteen- A Pirate's Heart

"I know that it was dangerous-"

"Dangerous? Understatement of the century! What you did is..."

He looked at her, anxious to know her thoughts.

"What you did...sealed us Killian."

"I don't understand..."

"How can you love without a heart? How can you defend or care or even exist without one?"

"The evil queen...she took a friend of mine's heart once. I got the idea when we spoke of her on the voyage home...I convinced Red to help me and to keep it from you...I suppose she didn't..."

"She told me you went to rumple...but that was it...I chased after you and was taken by one of Blackbeard's men..I thought it was John Smith..."

"If he were to touch you I would kill him myself. No hesitation."

"You just killed yourself...it was suicide trading your heart...You traded it for Hercules..."

He nodded. 'He saved my life, and you may not understand but my moral code is nobody is left behind you helps. No matter how much they may get on under your skin love..."

"Then why am I the one continuously getting hurt when I'm the one who helped you most?" Tears filled her eyes as she tried to leave the dock but was stopped by his quick hand.

"Please...don't do this. Don't leave."

"You were the reason I stayed Killian. But without a heart...you have a bounty on you. You just killed the king of the ocean...Resurrected a Greek God, but you can't manage to be honest with me."

"I have been-"

"Not about your heart...why I don't mean as much..."

"YOu mean everything. What good am I to protect you if I'm dead. If my heart is already out of my chest, I wanted it to be on my terms."

"So where is it?"

Killian shook his head.

"Fine. You don't want to tell me...Then stop resisting my leave. I need time-"

"His men could still be after you, John Smith-"

"I'd rather be with them right now. Before I say anything else I regret....let me go..."

Killian hesitated before releasing her arm and watching her disappear into the village. As she continued forward, she crossed her arms against her chest and rested upon a bench sitting before a fountain. It was a moment where she thought of the first time she met Killian. Which made the pain hurt worse.

"How could he be so selfish?" She asked Red who sat beside her, trying to comfort her.

"I haven't know him long but I've seen that each action he does is for you Emma..."

"But how could he? How can you love without a heart?"

"If I recall, your mother split her heart to share it with her true love. Even though they do not have full hearts, they love as if they did..."

"But no heart at all?"

"Although it is thought that the heart is where love comes from, it's not...it's the essence...The soul Emma...and that pirate may have a strange and confused one for life, but for you, he uses it to care for you...It's obvious to anyone but apparently you two..."

"What should I do?"

"Tell him how you feel."

"I did..."

"Tell him how you really feel. About being scared to be hurt again. About not being able to trust because it is so scary."

Red could see Emma's hesitation.

"It will be alright." She said as she placed her hand on her shoulder. "I have known you through it all...even if you didn't know. Go get him..." She said with a smile as Emma jumped to her feet and ran towards the dock. Finding Killian leaning against his boat, as he saw her running, he moved to her.

"What are you-"

She lept on him and kissed him. Running her fingers through his hair as the crew applauded the scene, including a drunk Jack. A moment truly designed to be written in a romance book.