Chapter Twenty- A Trial Unfit

"It feels good to be home." Emma said as she moved from the ship to the dock, followed by a hesitant Killian. "I won't let them take you to the dungeon Killian..."

"Habit I suppose...sorry..."

He took her hand in his as they moved to the castle.

"Your majesty.." The guards bowed to her. Upon seeing Killian, they began to wield their weapons before she stopped them.

"How dare you draw a weapon to my savior." The men instantly kept their weapons to their sides as they allowed them past.

"Forgive us your highness...we were instructed."

"I understand. Give his men a meal they will never forget." She demanded as they nodded to the pirates who followed.

Making it to the grand hall, Emma was encircled by those who were closest to her from her deepest allies in the castle to her parents. Upon seeing her clothing, they then looked to Killian.

"Is this the man who saved you?" Snow asked as she moved around him, analyzing each detail of him from his torn clothes to the wound to his heart. "Do you have a name?"

"Killian Jones." He said with a slow bow to them as Emma smirked. A smile seen by Snow.

"Would you excuse me to have a moment alone with my daughter Killian?" Snow asked as Charming showed Killian to the room opposite them.

"Do you know he is a pirate."

"Yes mother. A good one."

"There is no such thing. Blackbeard..Jack Sparrow-"

"Jack saved us. This journey has been crazed and difficult to explain...but he saved us."

"And I suppose you met Blackbeard."

"He is dead mother."

"Did Killian kill him?"

Emma nodded. "To save me. Please, can we discuss this matter later, I am exhausted and am eager to sleep but not before I talk to father."

"What for?"

"Killian's brother was killed due to the wrath of a selfish king. He tricked them-"

"The king who wants that pirate dead?"

"That pirate has a name..."

"Killian... I am aware. He is wanted for murder."

"One he did not commit. I beg of you."

"What can your father do?"

"I envisioned a statue dedicated to his brother. Something to not let the people forget of his service."

"Did this man tell you anything? To make you feel this way?"

"He saved my life. The night we left...Blackbeard came to kill me. To kidnap me and not intend to return...but Killian heard of this and knew-"

"What if he was part of the scheme? I love you my darling but...you are very naive..."

"I am clever now. I have been at war at sea, I know the pain of losing love-"

"Love?"

"Why will you not understand? If anyone would I am sure it would be you..."

"Of course I do...But...your father was not a man wanted for murder-"

"Were you not a woman wanted for treason?"

Snow gave her a look of disapproval before Emma marched from her room and ran to the other one to find Killian being cuffed.

"Father!"

"Emma, I am doing what is best."

"He did not do it."

"Maybe not the King, but about Milah? Or Edward Teach...Blackbeard?"

"Defense for Blackbeard, but he did not kill Milah..."

"Rumpelstiltskin did." Killian interjected. "I have not wanted anything but to return her safely."

"And what of the ship you came in on? Stolen, no?"

"Only to bring me back home. Why won't you listen?"

"When you become a hero....it is as if you are a moth to his flame Emma...You idolize this man because he saved your life...but what you feel is not real."

"I went to hell and back for this supposed made-up feelings. I know what I feel and what's more...I know you can't stop it. You are Snow White and Prince Charming...why do you not support this?"

"It was simply not written for you two to be together."

"I do not see you wielding a pen or you the experience to tell me such a thing."

"Emma!" Snow snapped.

"I am not a child! I have lost love once. But the way I feel now..." She looked to Killian. "It is as if my world meant nothing until knowing his heart. If you do not allow this, I will never forgive you-either of you. Uncuff him!"

"Emma-"

"Now!"

Charming moved towards her. "It is not that simple. There is evidence written in the King's blood."

"And mother, the word of the evil queen if I am not mistaken."

"I do not approve of this attitude. Something acquired with your time with him?"

"No mother. Acquired in my time home realizing my heart is nothing but a joke to you. If not a joke, than a toy for you to sell off when you feel fit. I thought you would understand...But I learned I made a mistake. One I will never again." She stomped from the room to find Killian in the dungeon later.

"I am so sorry Killian."

"Do not worry love. I am a pirate...being behind bars, drinking rum...thievery...something I am used to."

"I wish they would see."

"I do not blame them. More evidence against me than for me I suppose..."

"But they always listened to me..."

"Emma?" Snow called down the halls as she quickly ran from her position and towards the hall, finding Snow looking at her with suspicion.

"Yes mother?"

"Come have dinner now."

As they sat at the table, Emma's gaze caught to someone she thought she would never see again.

"John Smith..."