Chapter Sixteen- Stars

As they hitched a ride on Jack's ship, Mulan said goodbye to everyone as Emma thanked her with a genuine hug. Meg moved about the ship, keeping herself towards the bow as she looked to the stars as they set sail.

"What are you thinking about?" Emma asked Meg as they were the only two on the deck as everyone else had gone to sleep.

"Hercules told me something once..."

"What's that?"

She looked up to the sky as tears filled her eyes.

"That he was in the stars. Holding a shield to protect the storms from me and a sword to defend in my honor when I don't see it."

"We will get him back-"

She shook her head.

"The worst part about loving someone Emma, isn't getting hurt...it's losing them when you know you have a love more true than any words..."

Emma went to hug her but she raised her hand up.

"If you don't mind, I'd like to be alone."

"I understand...if you need anything..."

"Will do." She bowed lightly before Emma turned to walk away, but Meg called out to her. "One last thing." Emma nodded politely. "I don't know what happened between you and the Captain. But you have both looked death dead in the eye and yet you defend your hearts....just let go of it...let go of your defenses-believe me I know. It is much more worth it than not..."

"Thank you..."

Emma smiled before moving towards Killian's room. A smaller one than the Captain's quarters he had been used to, he did not even try to look to her.

"I am glad you are alright."

"I'm sure." He spoke as if he did not believe her.

"I am..."

"You don't have to pretend with me. I know you can't stand me. I suppose it is mutual."

"Why are you doing this? You told me I had your heart and now-"

"Why are you here? What do you want?"

"I don't know now...Why are you like this? What have I done to make you this way?"

"Everytime I see you...I see him..."

"The king?"

"No. Neal."

"Neal? You knew him?"

"Him and I were close mates...I had not heard from him in some time..."

"But what does this have to do with how you treat me."

"I feel guilt." He rose up and moved in front of her. "I feel like I can't look at you without feeling his gaze on me. If I open my heart to you, I get it stabbed with his words of brotherhood and loyalty."

"I loved him Killian, I won't lie about it. But I am not going to let myself stop living because of it. There are times I am overcome with emotion but isn't because I want him to kiss me again, it's because I want to feel his presence again. Just one more time-but I know that even then it wouldn't be enough..."

"I can't care about you...it's too hard..."

"Killian. I know you're broken. So am I."

"Please..."

"My heart is. I am forced to see happiness in my parents-a love I lost. But I am starting to think that maybe it wasn't their kind of love I lost..."

He scowled.

"What do you mean?"

"The love I felt for him was something where I felt protected-but I was never fully happy. I was always worried about what we would do when we would marry..." Killian remained quiet as she continued. "I look at Meg, and she's a mess because she lost that too...but she can get it back...I have let go of him. It's time you did too." She tried to leave but he moved to her, fetching her arm and pulling her back.

"How can I?"

"What do you want?"

"I don't know...okay? One minute I wanna yell at you and the other I wanna take caress your cheek and kiss you like you've never been before." She gulped as he felt her get chills from his words.

"And?"

"And each time I think of it. I am overcome with the guilt-"

"Then don't be."

"How can I not-"

"I want it to, Killian. I want you to kiss me that way and I want you to show me the world when-as you said once, nobody can tell us no or where we're supposed to go-"

"You remember?"

"I never didn't...."

He scowled. "No more games."

"No more lies."

"No more running."

"No more-" Before she could finish, his lips pressed against hers, forcing her back up against the wall. His hands moved to her waist as he delivered a passionate kiss.