Chapter 28

Chapter 28

                I sat in my room staring at the hot cup tea Neil brought in. When he simply placed it on the night stand beside me, I reached over to touch his wrist. I felt him jolt in shock, but I ignored it asking. “What goes on before they get their rooms?”

                Neil cleared his throat, pulled his hand away and said. “I’m not sure miss; I hear screams sometimes though, so I can’t full imagine what goes on.”

                When I gazed away frozenly from Neil, he left gently closing the door behind him.

                I gaped at the flowing stream of red that folded in with the boiling water. The tea bag bobbed up and down, floating near the lip of the mug. Jesse couldn’t possibly be in any harm, right? I mean, he didn’t have a room yet! He was fine...He was okay.

                My chest began to tighten, and the walls seemed to close around me. I slowly felt scared for him. I felt guilty for bringing him here. I felt disgusted with myself for thinking this was going to be an alright decision, that it was the right choice. Something had to be done, I had to find him. I had to leave.

~*~

                “Lucia,” Neil whispered to me as I made my way towards the dining room. “Miss, Lucia. Forgive me for this interruption, but your friend...”

                My eyes widened. “Yes?”

                “Miss, the Lord, I have seen him walk over to where the un-roomed people are.”

                I tilted my head, unsure of what he was implying to.

                “The Lord never goes into that room...”

                “Oh! I-I... Thank you!” I choked.

                He returned a soft nod as he subtly pointed towards the room that held people awaiting their terrible fates. Down the halls I past every room, quickly glancing at each plaque, they were all nothing but names. Nothing but name, after name, after God dam names!!

                Then when I was so tempted to stop running I found a door without a sign. I skidded to a halt, gazing upon the door. It wasn’t the same as the rest. It had no knob, and instead a thin red handle. It was pale tan, and nothing special. Yet when I reached for the handle, I felt a tingle shoot up my arm. I jerked my hand away only to notice that small writings of some ancient language began to appear. They formed by gleaming black at first and then settling to a white font.

                I gazed at the words. What were they?

                Suddenly the door slowly opened, the words swiftly disappearing. I quickly took a step back, frozen in fear and unsure of where to go.

                “Oh, Lucia,” Lucifer smiled as he stepped out.

                I gave a small closed grin, watching as he rapidly closed the door behind me.

                “Please, prepare and wash up for dinner will you?” He gently asked, pulling me away from the door.     

                Nodding, I made my way back down the hall, only to take one glance back at Lucifer. His head was turned away; his attention still intense on the door.

~*~

                When I entered the dining room, I took a deep breath. Lucifer stood in respect as I walked down towards my chair. Sitting down I glanced at the plate in front of me. A steaming steak lay gently against the bright colour of the red potatoes and the dinner bun. I gave Lucifer a small smile, as I carefully picked up the fork.

                I wasn’t hungry; all I wanted to do was walk over to that door, and see what lay inside.

                “Lucifer,” I whispered. “What was in that door?”

                He shot me a look, a slightly anger filled look. His eyes seemed to flame a little red, as he took in a harsh breath. “Nothing, child...”

                I glared at him. “What did the writing mean? What was inside?”

                “Like I said, there was nothing inside.”

                “What was in there?”

                “NOTHING!” I jumped in my seat from the sudden dozen voices that yelled out from his mouth.

                “I’m sorry,” I mumbled turning back to the plate.

                He shook his head, reaching for my hand. “No, I should be apologizing; besides, you will have to know sooner or later. However not yet...”

                I gave him a small smile as he too returned his attention to dinner.

                Awkward silence filled the room, as we both finished our meals, and dessert. I fiddled with the lace of my dress as Lucifer sipped his red wine. I couldn’t go to that door with him knowing. And I probably should have never mentioned my curiosity for it in the first place. It would have been so much better to sneak my way through if I had just shut up.

                “I’m feeling a bit tired,” I told Lucifer. “May I go back to my room?”

                Lucifer gave an understanding smile as I retreated to my room. When I closed the door behind me, I sat at the edge of the bed and waited.

                That was all I could do for the moment. I just had to wait. I had to wait till the Devil slept.