Chapter 16

Chapter 16

Jesse left me alone in my mother's room as I flipped through her little white book. There were so many insignificant words that I ignored, but there were also so many words that stained my mind.

Never loved

This is it

Rutty

I'm leaving tomorrow

He doesn't know my real name

She caught me

y

I don't know who the father is...

I was so confused, my thoughts were so blurred. I didn't exactly know who my father was, but now...I don't even know who my own mother was.

"They have all lied to you Lucia!" Lucifer...

I ignored him as I continued to read. My mother was with all of these men? She fell in love with all of them? But which one was her father?

"You belong with me Lucia..."

Shutting the voice out, I slipped the photos in the back of the book and brought it down towards the living room. My chest felt tight as Jesse looked up at me from the couch. I knew he was staring at my hair as it burned with the colour of copper. Shaking my head I said. "Let's just go."

We didn't take the train or the bus this time. Neither of us knew where we were going. But one thing was for sure...we weren't going home.

The sun fell behind the horizon as the streets grew dark. I didn't know what to do from there. My heart called for something to be done. But I told myself that I was finished. There was nothing to be done, not anymore at least.

"Then come home..." The devil's voice called out.

I felt my eyes shut tight though I still walked on.

"Come home..."

No

A laugh echoed in my mind. "Then your mother must stay."

I held in a loud gasp as Jesse and I strolled along the sidewalk. Even if I wanted to save her, I didn't know where to start.

Suddenly a large pain shot up through my head as I began to cough again. This time the hacking was more excruciating. My face felt hot, as my eyes began to tear. Jesse pulled my elbow back gesturing for me to stop.