Chapter 10

Chapter 10

                I ran out the front door, my hands grasping harshly at my hair. Tears began to form in my eyes; I could feel cold air touch my skin, threatening to push me down to my knees. The sky burnt with heat, as if it didn't know how much pain I was in, as if the sun was mocking my sorrow.

                I didn't fall to the ground in the rain like the movies showed. No, the tears in my eyes didn't even fall down from my eyes to my cheeks. Instead I held myself together, and let the sun laugh.

                The thought of my mother gone, caused my guts to twist and turn. But I knew there had to be some way, something, to turn this game to my advantage. There had to be some way.

                My thoughts were scattered across the sidewalk as I left the empty house behind. There was nothing left there. I didn't want to stay there. So I left with nothing but a bag.

                I couldn't think of a way to get to hell without dying. And really there was nothing to do, besides that.

                "No," I whispered to myself as I shook my head. I couldn't just die...could I?

                My hands began to shake as I felt a rush of...adrenaline...shot through me. I felt accelerated, I was excited? Then suddenly the sounds of rushing cars past me, as I woke back to reality.

~*~

                I sat at the bus stop; three blocks away from my house, watching the tires roll by. My mind was racing with thoughts, a never ending cycle of questions and potential solutions. Suddenly I heard a loud echoing sound as the bus stopped in front of me. I stood up as I shuffled in my bag for some loose change and dunked it in the bin.

                The people stared at me as I chose a spot towards the back. Sitting by the window closes to the sidewalk I gazed out at the passing buildings. A funny thought then came into my mind, what if hell was only an elevator away?

                Unexpectedly the bus began to slow at a stop just a couple away from the one I was at, and there out the window I spotted Jesse. My heart clenched in my chest. Shit...he would ask why I left abruptly earlier...

                To my surprise he sat at the very front of the bus, completely missing my presence. I pressed my lips together, in anticipation. Did I want him to see me? But I had to tell someone right? I had to let someone know about my mother. If anything I needed someone to well...help.

                With a slow deep breath, I stood up from my seat as the bus began to move. Stiffening my knees I tried my best to keep balance as I started to walk towards him. His eyes were drifted off out towards the window, as I approached him. I licked my lips.

                "Hey," I mumbled as I sat down on the empty seat in front of him.

                He turned towards me. "Oh hey," He absentmindedly replied.

                I stayed silent, partially expecting some humours remark on my hurried exit. Instead I got silence in return.

                "Look," I began. "I didn't mean to be weird before."

                He shrugged.

                "Okay, here's the deal..."

                He shook his head. "No, I know, you don't want me around I get it."

                "No, no," I huffed. "I need your help."

                He gazed at me, his eyes questioning.

                "I need your help."

                "No, I heard you the first time."

                I pressed my lips together and held it there, contemplating the pros and cons of this. Some part of me wanted him to shake his head and refuse to aid me. Another part of me begged that he would think of any other solution. I wanted him to say something else before I spoke. Yet I received a calm waiting glance instead.

                Swallowing any fears left in my mouth I slowly said. "There's this thing I need you to do for me, and I promise I'll try my hardest not to get you into trouble..."

                His eyes became serious, as if he knew, as if he felt the despair in my voice.

                "I need you to kill me."