Chapter 15

Chapter 15

                I collapsed to the floor soon after my ears rang in pain, and my head grew heavy. Unaware of who was in front of me, I closed my eyes, grasped my ears and fell into darkness.

                A muffled voice screamed with aggravation, his tone sounded like he was filling with tears. But I couldn’t hear Jesse shout, all I heard was a smaller voice within me praising from behind the shrill ringing.

                “What the hell happened Lucia!!?” Jesse screamed as he tried to pry my hands away from my ears. “Lucia, for God’s sake: tell me what on earth happened?”

                I shook my head, as I shifted my weight from my upper arms to my hips. He then squatted down to the ground pulling me up from my fetal position. However though his hands were rough on my sides I felt no pain, and though his voice cried in hate I heard nothing. All my attention was drawn to that one voice calling out to me; taunting me.

                “LUCIA!!!” Jesse yelled as he fell to the ground beside me. His hands slowly let go of my waist as I heard him sob. The mumbling cries soon pulled me out from my dim mind, and there I saw in front of me was a teenage boy crying into his hands. I felt a tear fall from my face as I reached my hand over to his ankle. He pulled away.

                “I’m sorry...” I whispered.

                He glared at me through his fingers. “What did you do?”

                I cleared my throat as I sat up. I shrugged.

                “She just collapsed you know? She just fell, her eyes went empty and she just fell!”      

                “I’m sorry...”

                “Screw you!”

                I swallowed a lump that formed in my throat as I looked at him. His entire body was shaking, as he pressed his palm hard against his eyes. “Jesse...”

                Without a sound he stood up from the ground and looked into the apartment. “Let’s just go and get your mother.”

~*~

                We moved his grandmother to her bed, and left the building. I was in the hall waiting when I spotted him packing his own backpack. Something in his eyes told me that he too didn’t know if he would come back. I felt pain for him, with him even. And though I didn’t know what exactly I had done, I knew it was because of me his grandmother died.

                Jesse and I sat silently as we rode the train once again, none of said anything but somehow I knew that he thought it would be best to head back to my house. If anything there had to be something there that explained what was happening; even if it only explained a little...

                Within minutes I found myself staring at a familiar door that looked so foreign. I took the spare key under the mat and opened the door. The house felt so empty. It felt so abandoned and old, as if I wasn’t just here this morning.

                My first instinct was to run to my mother’s room, but I was interrupted by abrupt heavy coughing. I curled down a little as I covered my mouth with the inside of my arm. The coughs were horrid. They were dry, painful and plenty. I could almost feel my lungs shoot up from my throat as the coughs kept coming.

                Jesse placed his arm around my shoulder as he slowly walked over to the nearest chair. Once seated in the dining room the coughs subsided.

                Blankly and emotionless Jesse asked if I was okay, I gave a small nod in return as I took in a deep breath. I watched him walk towards the living room, his fingers tracing each picture frame before I stood up and head up the stairs.

                As I opened the door to my mother’s room the hinges squeaked as if announcing to me that there was no one there. But I ignored the warning and stepped into the auburn room. The window blinds had left a small streak of orange to peep in from the setting sun. But besides that, there was nothing else really beautiful about it.

                 I took in a deep breath as I kneeled on the ground. Placing my hands down, I silently surrendered. I didn’t know to whom or to what, but somehow I gave up. Maybe it was me giving up finding my mother or giving up trying to control this thing inside me. Maybe just maybe I was just giving up, with everything! With going against what this voice was telling me to do, giving up with defending myself against unexplainable situation. If anything I felt the need to just run, to flee, and to just leave.

                The once spinning world around me suddenly began to slow. And for once in this hectic week I felt at peace. However it wasn’t an entire calm peace. I hadn’t done any good, I hadn’t apologized, and I was not forgiven. My dead father was rolling in his grave at the thought of his daughter being such a failure. I couldn’t imagine how my mother would react.

                Suddenly Jesse stepped beside me, his sneakers and jeans were the only thing I saw. Yet somehow I knew his face was grim. His eyes were tainted with death. Worse of all the death of a loved one...My heart ached for him, it cried in pain...but there was nothing I could do; nothing left for me to do. I had given up.

                Then from the corner of my eyes I glanced as Jesse kneeled beside me, his eyes were glued to the mirror...or something behind the mirror. At first I didn’t think much of it, but when he reached behind it and pulled small white book my head shot up. He carefully opened it revealing pictures that fell to the ground. As he read the pages, I reached for the fallen photos and glanced upon them. They were all photographs of her...every single one of them had her, but each of them had a different man.

                “Your mother...she...” Jesse whispered.

                I eyed each photo, I memorized each detail.

                “Lucia, where is he? Who is your d-?”

                “I don’t know.”