Chapter 3

Chapter 3

                I ran for a while. I ran till my lungs burnt and my head felt light. When I felt it was safe, I stopped. Gazing around me I realized I was further into town than I was comfortable with. But really, I didn't care. If it meant getting away from the subway, from the school, from myself, then I'd run as far as I could.

                Slowly I began to walk over to what I hoped was a quiet café. When I entered, the bell above me chimed. Ignoring a few stares I quietly made my way to the furthest booth. Sitting down I took a deep breath as a lady came towards me.

                "What can I get you, sweetie?" She asked her nose buried in her note pad.

                I cleared my throat. "Uh, just a cup of coffee, please..."

                Nodding she turned away.

                Shutting my eyes, I pressed my head against my palms. This was not my week! This -thing, it was getting worse, and worse.Before I just needed to breathe, and calm down. But now...no now it's so much harder.

                "Here you are," I looked up to find the lady placing a mug in front of me.

                "Thanks," I whispered.

                Cupping my hands around the mug I looked at my dark reflection in the coffee. Suddenly the liquid began to ripple. I cocked my head trying to get a clearer picture. Then out of nowhere that same face from my mirror appeared. I gasped. Slowly the man smiled as his hands reached out to me. Frantically I grabbed the spoon beside me and stirred it with fear. When the face was gone, I couldn't help but laugh. Not because I wasn't afraid anymore - but because I had just used a spoon as a weapon.  As soon as my mug was dry, I reached into my pockets only to find a couple of quarters of change from the train fare.

                "Shit!" I huffed.

                I looked up around me; no one was at the counter. And everyone else seemed lost in their newspaper or their phones. So slowly I stood up, and carefully made my way towards the door.

                Chime

                I froze as I heard footsteps behind me. "You didn't pay..."

                When I turned around I found a very grim face staring at me. The lady glared at me, from behind her melting black eyeliner, and her crossed arms.

                "I- uh..." What was I going to say? 'Oh sorry I had this wild epidemic in the subway when I threw a man across the train, so hey, you mind taking the tab?'

                "I'll get it." A voice from the door said.

                Quickly we both looked behind me to find the guy who I last crashed into. His face was staring into mine. Again I felt that same shiver. Who was this guy?

                "Good," The waitress said.

                With that he pulled out his wallet and handed her a ten.

                "Thanks," I said as I squeezed around him towards the exit.

                "Wait!" I heard him cry from behind me.

                I didn't stop my feet as I tried my best to walk fast.

                "Wait!" He called again.                

                Before I knew it I felt a hand on my shoulder. Stopping I turned towards him.

                "Look I don't have money right now, I don't know, but I'll pay you back somehow..... later, okay?" I mumbled.        

                He let out a small chuckle. "No, that's not what I want."

                I stared in silence.

                "I saw you in the train," He said.

                When I let out a small huff he said. "No, just listen. I just wanted to see if you were okay."

                I scrunched my face. "So what, you followed me?"

                He backed away. "Not exactly..."

                "Look I'm fine okay, but you don't know me enough to think it was okay to follow me just to "check up" on me," I snarled as I turned away. "Thanks for the coffee anyways."

~*~

                When I finally found my way home, I let out a sigh of relief. As soon as I placed my foot on the front steps my mother had swiftly swung the door wide open.

                "Where were you?!" She gasped.           

                "I left a note..." I mumbled.

                She took a deep breath as I walked in. "Did, uh, anything happen?"

                I kept my eyes on the ground. I knew what she was implying to. "No,"

                Slowly I heard her walk towards me. "That's good, that's really good." She whispered as if comforting herself more than comforting me.

                "Yah, very good..." I murmured as I walked over to my room.

                Shutting the door behind me I crashed into my bed and buried my face into the pillow.

                Yah, I flung two girls into the wall and a grown man across a crowded train. Everything was peachy...Everything was good...